What do you call this kind of attraction?

• Thread starter Buzzworks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Attraction
In summary, when two pieces of dry glass material with flat faces are pressed and rubbed together, friction force will eventually become strong and the glass pieces will become stuck to each other. This strong attraction can remain indefinitely until the pieces are forcibly separated. This phenomenon does not cause any damage or scratches. One possible explanation for this attraction is that the action drives out all the air between the glass pieces, allowing outside air pressure to take over. This was discovered by accident when two glass prisms from a pair of binoculars were rubbed together. Further information on this topic can be found on the Physics Forums website.
Buzzworks
-You get two pieces of dry glass material with perfectly flat faces.

-You press and rub them together. Initially, they seem to glide smoothly against each other...

-...Eventually, after a few strokes, friction force gets very strong until the point you can't rub them at all.

-A this stage the two pieces of glass have become stuck to each other, strongly!

-They will remain stuck indefinitely until you force them apart. You can drop them on the carpet and still remain stuck, you get the idea that this is a very strong attraction, almost like a neo magnet to iron!

-The action does not cause any damage, no scratch, nothing.

-I suspect the action drives all the air out between the glass pieces and outside air pressure takes over??

-I discovered this by accident when I decide to amuse myself with two glass prisms from a pair of binoculars! Any ideas what causes this attraction?

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you call this kind of attraction?

This is typically referred to as a magnetic attraction or a physical attraction.

What causes this type of attraction?

The attraction between objects is due to their electric charge or mass. Objects with opposite charges or masses will attract each other, while objects with the same charges or masses will repel each other.

Can this type of attraction occur between non-living objects?

Yes, this type of attraction can occur between any objects with electric charge or mass. It is not limited to living organisms.

Can attraction be explained by science?

Yes, attraction can be explained by scientific principles such as electromagnetism and gravity.

Is attraction the same as love?

No, attraction is a physical force between objects, while love is an emotion between individuals. While physical attraction may be a component of love, the two are not synonymous.