Calculating Power in Electric Circuits: Voltage, Resistance, and Potential Risks

In summary, when resistors are connected in series, the total power dissipation can be calculated using the current rather than the voltage. In the given scenario, adding a 100 ohm resistor in series with a 66 ohm resistor resulted in a total power dissipation of 59W, with the first resistor dissipating 23W and the second dissipating 36W. This is within the power rating of 155W for the first resistor, but the second resistor should ideally have a power rating higher than 36W to avoid damage.
zak8000
Hi

if i have a voltage supply of 100V connected across a 66 ohm resistor which has a power rating of 155W. then P=V^2/R=10000/66=151W but say if i had the same situation except i add another resistor in series to increase the resistance of the overall circuit by adding a 100 ohm resistor which has a power ratting of 1W. then P=10000/166=60W.

but the question i have is will the 100 ohm resistor blow up because there is 60W across both resistors as it has a power rating of 1W?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

when one sets resistors in series, the current (rather than the voltage) is the same over the whole circuit. Thus the power dissipation should be calculated by using the current.

So you have: R1=66 ohm and R2=100 ohm, Rtot=166 ohm
Itot = Vtot / Rtot = 100/166 = 0.602 A
P1 = Itot2 * R1 = 23.95 W and P2 = Itot2 * R2 = 36.29 W

So, R1 dissipates 23W as Joule effect, and if its power rating is 155 W you're in the safe side, while R2 needs to be > 36W in order to avoid cooking.

This makes sense because by adding a second resistor of the same order of magnitude, the total power will be roughly distributed between the two (23W + 36W).

Last edited by a moderator:
so if i wanted to measure the total power dissipation for this circuit would be 59W ?

zak8000 said:
so if i wanted to measure the total power dissipation for this circuit would be 59W ?

You're right: when you increase a load resistance while keeping the same voltage, the current decreases then the power decreases accordingly (Joule effect).

1. What is electric power?

Electric power is the rate at which electric energy is transferred or converted into other forms of energy. It is typically measured in watts (W) and is used to power various devices and systems.

2. How is electric power generated?

Electric power is typically generated by converting a primary energy source, such as coal, natural gas, nuclear energy, or renewable sources like solar or wind, into electrical energy. This is achieved through a variety of methods such as steam turbines, gas turbines, and photovoltaic cells.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is a type of electrical current that periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) power flows in one direction. AC power is typically used for power distribution in homes and buildings, while DC power is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

4. How is electric power transmitted and distributed?

Electric power is transmitted over long distances through high-voltage power lines, which reduces energy loss during transmission. It is then distributed to homes and businesses through a network of lower-voltage power lines and transformers.

5. What are some ways to conserve electric power?

There are many ways to conserve electric power, such as turning off lights and appliances when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, and unplugging electronics when they are not in use. Additionally, using renewable energy sources can also help reduce the overall demand for electric power.