Refrigerator (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the 2nd law and Clasius inequality to derive equations for finding the final temperature and minimum work required for a heat pump. The conversation also addresses the assumption of reversibility and the use of the 1st law to find the minimum work. The final equation for minimum work, Wmin, is found to be equal to Cp(T1-T2)^2/T2. The question of how Cp can be equal to mc is raised.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1197/questionof.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, if we assume that the cycle is reversible from the 2nd law we have

[itex]\Delta S = \frac{\Delta Q}{T}+S_{gen} = 0[/itex]

And here is the Clasius Inequality

[itex]S_{gen} \geq 0 \implies \frac{\Delta Q}{T} \leq 0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Q_x}{T_1}-\int^{T_2}_{T_1} \frac{\Delta Q}{T} \leq 0[/itex]

Since ΔQ = dT

[itex]\frac{Q_x}{T_1}-\int^{T_2}_{T_1} \frac{dT}{T} = \frac{Q_x}{T_1}- \ln \frac{T_2}{T_1} \leq 0[/itex]

[itex]T_2 \geq T_1e^{\frac{Q_x}{T_x}}[/itex]

Since we do not know the temprature values we can't make numerical calculation of the lower limit for the final temperature of y. But did I derive the correct equation?

For the second part of the equation, to find the minimum value of work that needs to be supplied to the heat pump I tried to use the 1st Law;

Q − W = U = 0 → W = mcΔT - U

How can we use this to show the above expression for Wmin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We do not know if the cycle is reversible or irreversible. But I assumed that it is reversible because if it is not then more and more work is required due to the entropy generated.

Last edited:
Okay, I figured out part (1) :smile:, but I'm still having some trouble working out the minimum work.

The entropy change of x is

[itex]\Delta S_x = \int^{T_2}_{T_1} C_p \frac{dT}{T} = C_p \ln \frac{T_2}{T_1}[/itex]

The entropy change of y is

[itex]\Delta S_y = \int^{T_2’}_{T_1} C_p \frac{dT}{T} = C_p \ln \frac{T_2’}{T_1}[/itex]

The total entropy change is

[itex]\Delta S_{tot} =\Delta S_x + \Delta S_y = C_p \ln \frac{T_2}{T_1} + C_p \ln \frac{T_2’}{T_1}[/itex]

And we know from the entropy principal that ΔS ≥ 0, so

[itex]\left( C_p \ln \frac{T_2}{T_1} + C_p \ln \frac{T_2’}{T_1} \right) \geq 0[/itex]

[itex]C_p \ln \frac{T_2T_2’}{T_1^2} \geq 0[/itex]

The minimum value of T2’ would be

[itex]C_p \ln \frac{T_2T_2’}{T_1^2} = 0 = \ln 1[/itex]

[itex]\therefore T_2’ = \frac{T_1^2}{T_2}[/itex]

Okay now the minimum work:

Heat removed from x to cool it is Q=Cp (T1-T2) and the heat added to y is Q+W=Cp (T2'-T1) so

W= Cp(T2'-T1)-Cp(T1-T2)=Cp(T'2+T2-2T1)

Substituting the minimum temprature we found we end up with

[itex]W_{min} = C_p \left( \frac{T_1^2}{T_2} +T_2-2T_1 \right) = C_p \frac{(T_1-T_2)^2}{T_2}[/itex]

But the expression I need is:

[itex]W_{min} = \frac{mc (T_1-T_2)^2}{T_2}[/itex]

What could we do to arrive at that expression? :confused:

Last edited:
The only way I can have:

[itex]W_{min} = C_p \frac{(T_1-T_2)^2}{T_2} = \frac{mc (T_1-T_2)^2}{T_2}[/itex]

is if Cp is equal to mc. But how could this be?

I would like to provide a response to the content by first acknowledging that the problem presented is a classic example of refrigeration using the principles of thermodynamics. The goal of a refrigerator is to transfer heat from a cold reservoir (the inside of the fridge) to a hot reservoir (the outside of the fridge) in order to maintain a lower temperature inside.

In the first part of the problem, the approach taken to derive the expression for the minimum final temperature is correct. The use of the second law of thermodynamics and the Clausius inequality is appropriate and leads to the correct expression. The final result shows that the minimum temperature of the cold reservoir (y) is dependent on the initial temperature (x) and the amount of heat transferred (Qx) from the hot reservoir. This is a fundamental result in refrigeration and is known as the Carnot efficiency.

In the second part of the problem, the approach taken to find the minimum work needed to be supplied to the heat pump is not entirely correct. The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat added to the system (Q) minus the work done by the system (W). In this case, the internal energy does not change (ΔU = 0) and therefore the work done by the system is equal to the heat added (W = Q). However, this does not necessarily give us the minimum value for work.

To find the minimum value for work, we can use the Carnot efficiency equation derived in the first part of the problem. This equation shows that the minimum work needed is dependent on the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs. Therefore, to minimize the work, we need to maximize the temperature difference. This can be achieved by using a heat pump with a high temperature difference and efficient insulation to reduce heat loss.

1. What is the purpose of a refrigerator?

A refrigerator is a thermodynamic system that is designed to transfer heat from the inside of the unit to the outside, thus keeping the internal temperature cool. Its main purpose is to preserve food and other perishable items by preventing bacterial growth and spoilage.

2. How does a refrigerator work?

A refrigerator operates on the principles of thermodynamics. It uses a refrigerant, such as Freon, which is compressed and then expanded to remove heat from inside the unit. The refrigerant then cycles through a series of coils and pipes, transferring heat from the inside to the outside of the refrigerator. This process is repeated continuously to maintain a cool temperature inside the unit.

3. What is the ideal temperature for a refrigerator?

The ideal temperature for a refrigerator is between 35-38 degrees Fahrenheit (2-3 degrees Celsius). This temperature range is cold enough to slow down bacterial growth and prevent food from spoiling too quickly, but not so cold that food freezes or becomes damaged.

4. How can I make my refrigerator more energy efficient?

There are several ways to make your refrigerator more energy efficient. First, make sure that the door seals are tight and free of any cracks or leaks. This will prevent cool air from escaping and keep the unit running efficiently. Also, avoid placing hot or warm food directly into the refrigerator, as this will cause the unit to work harder to maintain a cool temperature. Lastly, regularly clean the coils and vents on the back of the refrigerator to ensure proper airflow.

5. What are some common problems with refrigerators and how can they be fixed?

Some common problems with refrigerators include a malfunctioning thermostat, a faulty compressor, or a clogged condenser coil. These issues can often be fixed by a professional technician. It is important to regularly clean and maintain the refrigerator to prevent these problems from occurring. If the refrigerator is not cooling properly, check the temperature settings and make sure the unit is not overloaded with food.