Dave's 3-Phase Power Question: Re-winding an Alternator

In summary, The speaker is new to electronics and has been learning about 3 phase power. They are interested in experimenting with a 3 phase power generator in order to create a step charging effect across a capacitor. They are seeking thoughts and feedback on the feasibility of this experiment.
Davecbwfc
This is my first post on this forum and my electronics education has a long way to go so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I've been learning about 3 phase power lately and I have been wondering if an experiment I want to do is worth it.

Anyway, I want to rewind a 3 phase power generator (alternator) so each phase is a higher voltage output then the last. My goal is to create a kind of step charging effect across a capacitor. I can't really think of any reason why I could do this but please give me your thoughts.
Thanks

Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Davecbwfc! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

At best you would get only 3 increasing steps, then it would be back to the lowest again. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the 3-phase power system work?

The 3-phase power system is a type of electrical power transmission that uses three alternating currents that are 120 degrees out of phase with each other. This allows for a more efficient and steady flow of electricity compared to single-phase systems.

2. What is an alternator and how does it work?

An alternator is a type of electrical generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a rotor and stator to create a magnetic field, which then induces an alternating current in the stator windings.

3. What is the purpose of re-winding an alternator?

The purpose of re-winding an alternator is to replace the old or damaged windings in order to restore the efficiency and functionality of the alternator. This is commonly done in cases where the alternator is not generating enough power or is not working at all.

4. How do you determine the number of turns needed for the new windings?

The number of turns needed for the new windings is determined by the desired output voltage and the wire gauge being used. This can be calculated using the formula V = 4.44 x f x N x B x A, where V is the desired output voltage, f is the frequency, N is the number of turns, B is the magnetic flux density, and A is the area of the wire.

5. What are the potential risks of re-winding an alternator?

The main risk of re-winding an alternator is the possibility of electric shock if not done correctly. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and have a thorough understanding of the wiring and electrical components. There is also a risk of damaging the alternator if the windings are not done properly, which can result in further expenses for repairs or replacements.