Heat Capacity iron heating water

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the experimental heat capacity of iron based on the given data of iron mass, initial and final temperatures of both iron and water. The final heat capacity is calculated to be 0.325J/g·°C, with the use of the equation provided in the textbook. It is emphasized that the student should attempt to solve the problem on their own rather than relying on others.
bjorn
This is what I've got:

Iron mass: 81.9g
Initial iron temp.: 92'C
Water volume: 100mL
Initial water temp.: 25'C
Final water temp.: 29'C

What the the experimental heat capacity of iron?

Bjorn

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bjorn, do you know what equation is to be used for this kind of problem. It's very simple and will be in your textbook. Look it up.

We can not do your homework for you. You have to make an attempt first.

Hmmm...

How about this, does this seem correct?

mm = 81.9g

mw = 100mL

Tim = 92°C

Tf = 29°C

Tiw = 25°C

Tfw = 29°C

cw = 4.19 J/g·°C (this is the number the school operates with)

cm = ?

81.9g(cm)(29°C - 92°C)+100g(4.19J/g·°C)(29°C - 25°C) = 0

81.9g(cm)(-63°C)+100g(4.19J/g·°C)(4°C) = 0

-5159.7g·°C(cm)+1676J = 0

1676J = 5159.7g·°C(cm)

Divide both sides by 5159.7g·°C:

cm = 0.325J/g·°C

Didn't take this from the textbook, I guess I knew what to do, but I have always been an idiot with unkowns in math :rofl:
Equations and me aren't exactly best friends.

This is perfectly good.

Aren't you glad you did it by yourself, rather than have someone else do it for you ?

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is often measured in units of joules per degree Celsius (J/°C) or calories per degree Celsius (cal/°C).

How does heat capacity differ between substances?

The heat capacity of a substance depends on its mass, molecular structure, and chemical composition. Different substances have different heat capacities because they require different amounts of energy to raise their temperatures by the same amount.

What is the heat capacity of iron?

The heat capacity of iron varies slightly depending on its form (solid, liquid, or gas) and temperature. However, for solid iron at room temperature, the heat capacity is approximately 0.45 J/g·°C.

How does iron heat water?

Iron heats water through a process called conduction. When an iron pan or pot is placed on a heat source, such as a stove, the heat is transferred from the source to the iron through conduction. The iron then transfers the heat to the water molecules, causing them to move faster and increase in temperature.

Why is knowing the heat capacity of iron important when heating water?

Knowing the heat capacity of iron is important when heating water because it allows us to calculate the amount of heat energy needed to bring the water to a desired temperature. This information is useful in various industries, such as cooking and manufacturing, where precise temperature control is necessary.