Deal with tension problems in a systematic way?

In summary, the tension in the string connecting the two blocks is the same as the tension in the blocks themselves.
StephenPrivitera
Something about tensions throws me off. I can never seem to get tension problems.
A freight train consists of 250 cars each of mass 64 metric tons. The acceleration of the train is a=0.043m/s2. What is the tension in the coupling that holds the first car to the locomotive? the last car? Ignore friction.

Here's a little diagram.

[___]---[___]---[___]---[___]---[___]\ ----->a

Let me treat the last car first. The free body diagram looks like this:
O-------> T
T=ma=2.75x10^3 N
Correct?

On the first car we have (ignoring normal force and weight, which cancel out),

<-----O----->
Right? Since the car pulls on the car behind it, the car behind it pulls on it. And the locomotive pulls on the first car is the forward direction.
If you treat the train as a whole, the net force is 6.88x10^5 N in the direction of a.
Considering the front boxcar,
T1 - T2=Fnet=ma
a is known, m is known, Fnet is known
T2 must be sufficiently large to accerelate the remainder of the train of mass M by a. So
T1=a(m+M)
T1=6.88x10^5 N since m+M is the total mass of the train

Is my work ok? Can you give me some advice on how to deal with tension problems in a systematic way?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You say "A freight train consists of 250 cars each of mass 64 metric tons." Can we assume that does NOT include the locomotive?

Assuming that, the cars behind the locomotive have a mass of
250(64)= 16000 metric tons= 1.6 x 106kg. Since "F= ma", in order to accelerate them at a=0.043m/s2, we must have
F= 1.6 x106* 4.3 x 10-2= 6.88 x 104 Newtons. The only way to do that is for the locomotive to pull them so that is the tension in the first coupling.

Now, can you calculate the tension in the coupling between the first and second cars?

And if you can do that, can you calculate the tension on the coupling between the first and second cars?

How about between the last and next to last cars?

Yes. It does not include the locomotive.

Sure.

[___]---[___]---[___]---[___]---[___]\ ----->a

I prefer general cases.
So I consider the nth car on a train of N cars. I want to find the tension in the cable connecting the nth car with the (n-1)th car.

Force diagram:

<------[__n__]---------> T2
T1

The mass of the car is m.
a is the acceleration of the car. It is also the acceleration of the train.
Fnet on n=ma=T2-T1
-T1 provides the acceleration of the N-n cars of mass m(N-n) behind n.
So T1=ma(N-n)
So T2=ma(N-n+1).
This result gives me the same answers I obtained before when I use N=250, n={250,1}.

Last edited:
That one was ok.
How about this one?

Two blocks slide down a ramp making an angle P with the horizontal. They are tied together by a string. They have coefficients of friction uk1 and uk2. What is a? What is T?

|\
|.\[m2]
|..\ \
|...\ \
|...\ \
|...\[m1]
|...\
|...\

Nice diagram, huh?

Now on m1 we have,

<----- force of frition uk1(m1)gcosP
<----- force of tension T
-----> force of gravity (m1)gsinP

On m2 we have,

<----- force of frition uk2(m2)gcosP
-----> force of tension T
-----> force of gravity (m2)gsinP

(m2)(a2)= -uk2(m2)gcosP + T + (m2)gsinP
(m1)(a1)= -uk1(m1)gcosP - T + (m1)gsinP
I can conclude that T is the same for both equations since there is only one rope. Can I conclude that a1=a2? If so, how do I show that a1=a2? I often get in trouble with my problems because I assume things rather than showing them.

1. What is tension and why is it a problem?

Tension refers to the feeling of strain or pressure in a situation or relationship. It can arise from conflicting expectations, goals, or values. Tension can be a problem because it can lead to negative emotions, communication breakdowns, and decreased productivity.

2. How can I identify tension in a systematic way?

The first step in dealing with tension is to recognize its presence. Look for signs such as increased stress or conflict, changes in behavior or communication patterns, and a decrease in trust or collaboration. Asking for feedback from others can also help identify tension in a systematic way.

3. What are some strategies for managing tension?

There are several strategies that can help manage tension in a systematic way. These include addressing underlying issues, setting clear expectations and boundaries, actively listening and acknowledging others' perspectives, and finding common ground or compromise. It may also be helpful to seek outside support or mediation if necessary.

4. How can I prevent tension from arising in the first place?

While some level of tension is inevitable in any group or relationship, there are steps that can be taken to prevent it from becoming a major problem. These include fostering open communication, promoting a culture of respect and collaboration, and addressing conflicts and issues as they arise rather than letting them fester.

5. What are the potential benefits of dealing with tension in a systematic way?

By addressing tension in a systematic way, individuals and groups can experience improved relationships, increased trust and collaboration, and a more positive and productive environment. It can also lead to better problem-solving and decision-making, as well as a stronger sense of cohesion and teamwork.