Finding Roots of Diff EQ: c1 & c2?

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, when solving a homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation, the roots of the auxiliary equation are used to determine the general solution, with the arbitrary constants c1 and c2 being determined by initial conditions. There is no difference in the solution if the constants are interchanged, and the naming convention for the roots may vary depending on the publisher.
kdinser
When you are trying to determine the general solution of a homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation, after you find the roots, how do you decide which goes with c1 and which goes with c2?

example:

y''-3y'+2y=0

Factoring the auxiliary equation

m^2-3m+2=0=(m-1)(m-2)

is there some kind of convention as to which gets named as m1 and m2?
It seems like every time I do one of these kinds of problems, my answer is the opposite of the books. Is there any difference between

y=c1e^(x)+c2e^(2x) and y=c1e^(2x)+c2e^(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants which must be determined by initial conditions only. so there is no difference if you interchange them

That's what I was hoping for, thanks.

Is there any difference between

No, they have no different... you can write it either way...

It depend on the publisher...

kdinser said:
When you are trying to determine the general solution of a homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation, after you find the roots, how do you decide which goes with c1 and which goes with c2?

example:

y''-3y'+2y=0

Factoring the auxiliary equation

m^2-3m+2=0=(m-1)(m-2)

It seems like every time I do one of these kinds of problems, my answer is the opposite of the books. Is there any difference between

Read the result from right to left.I'm sure it will coincide with yours...

Daniel.

1. What are the c1 and c2 constants in differential equations?

The c1 and c2 constants represent the arbitrary constants that arise when solving a differential equation. These constants are necessary because the general solution of a differential equation contains an infinite number of solutions, and the constants allow us to choose a specific solution that satisfies any initial conditions.

2. How do you find the c1 and c2 constants in a differential equation?

The c1 and c2 constants can be found by solving the differential equation and using the initial conditions to determine their values. These initial conditions can be given in the problem or can be obtained from a graph or table of values.

3. Why are c1 and c2 important in solving differential equations?

The c1 and c2 constants are important because they allow us to find a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies the given initial conditions. Without these constants, the general solution would not be as useful in practical applications.

4. Can the values of c1 and c2 be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, the values of c1 and c2 can be negative or complex numbers. In fact, in some cases where the differential equation has complex roots, the solution will involve complex values for c1 and c2.

5. What happens if the c1 and c2 constants are not included in the solution of a differential equation?

If the c1 and c2 constants are not included in the solution of a differential equation, the solution will not be specific to the given initial conditions. This means that the solution will not be as useful in practical applications and may not accurately model the system being studied.