Finding Practical Applications for Physics/Calculus

In summary: Your teacher is right, you need to find a practical application for either subject to prove that you understand it. If you're in college, then you should probably avoid physics and math. If you're not in college, then you need to find a way to show that you understand those subjects. One idea is to write about a topic that is related to physics, but not too technical. Another idea is to write about the public's attitude toward physics.
apm809
Hey, I'm having to write a 6-10 page essay. My teacher says I have to proove something, so she thinks it will be hard for me to do it on physics or calculus (although those are my strong points). So if you have any ideas of what I could do, please throw 'em at me. She recommends that I try to find some practical application for either subject, if that helps. Thanks a ton.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your request is a little vague.

Is this for an english class, or...?

1) Can you be a bit more specific about "My teacher says I have to proove something."

2) Are you sure your in college?

3) I suspect the paper is for an english class. If this is correct then I have to agree with your teacher and recommend you stay away from physics and math. How do you expect to write a physics or math proof for an english paper with 75% formulas and 25% words. On top of that you need to find a proof complex enough to span the 6 to 10 pages.

My personal recommendation is to follow your teacher's recommendation and do something practical.

Yes it's for English.

Well, it need not be a math based approach to the subject. It could be more philisophical. Actually, I had always hoped to get such an assignment in english, but I have completed those requirement as far as my college work goes.
Since I have studied the physics, I have always been amazed at the order and simplicity of our physical laws. Its given me a sort of zen like approach to life. Maybe you could write about something along those lines, throwing in such concepts as equal and opposite reactions, conservation of energy and entropy, without getting too technical.
Also, you could write about the public's general attitude toward physics, especially modern physics. Some of my friends talk of this stuff like its mystical, almost religion like, but they are forgetting that all these theorys, no matter how far out they may seem, are based on the results of physical experiments.
One more idea, you could discuss the scientific method. I feel that the pure sciences are after the ultimate truth, not letting personal opinions cloud things. Therefore I feel that the sciences are acadamias highest pursuits, with little manipulation and turmoil. Us scientists don't talk smack about what we don't know about, and if we are proven wrong, we don't have as much hard feelings about it.
I hope these ideas help, and I would really like to read your paper, please send it to me at willmisako@hotmail.com Good luck!

Will

1. What is the purpose of finding practical applications for physics/calculus?

The purpose of finding practical applications for physics/calculus is to apply the concepts and principles of these subjects to real-world problems and situations. This allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems and make informed decisions in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

2. How do scientists find practical applications for physics/calculus?

Scientists find practical applications for physics/calculus by first understanding the fundamental principles and equations of these subjects. They then analyze real-world problems and use mathematical and computational methods to solve them. This process involves experimentation, data collection, and analysis to validate the theoretical predictions.

3. What are some examples of practical applications for physics/calculus?

Some examples of practical applications for physics/calculus include designing and building structures, developing new technologies, predicting weather patterns, understanding the behavior of fluids and gases, and creating medical devices and treatments. These subjects also have applications in space exploration, energy production, and transportation systems.

4. Why is it important to find practical applications for physics/calculus?

Finding practical applications for physics/calculus is important because it enables us to solve real-world problems and improve our understanding of the natural world. These applications also have a significant impact on society, as they contribute to advancements in various fields and improve our quality of life.

5. How can finding practical applications for physics/calculus benefit society?

Finding practical applications for physics/calculus benefits society by improving technology and creating new innovations. It also helps us make informed decisions in areas such as healthcare, transportation, and energy production. Additionally, these applications contribute to economic growth and create job opportunities in various industries.