Applying Inverse Laplace Transforms to f(s) = -5s/S^2+9

In summary, the inverse Laplace transform of f(s) = -5s/(s^2+9) is -5cos(3t). The correct way to write this equation is f(s) = -5s/(s^2+9).
Spoolx

Homework Statement

f(s) = -5s/S^2+9

Homework Equations

I think
f(t) cosωt = f(s) s/s^2+ω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=3

Answer
-5cos(3t)

Can anyone tell me if I did this correctly? I think I did but just want to make sure, if not can you tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not really much of a problem statement there but, going by the title, I think you are after the inverse laplace transform of ##f(s) = -5 \frac{s}{s^2+9}##. Yes, your result is correct. $$\mathcal{L}^{-1} f(s) \equiv Y(t) = -5 \cdot \mathcal{L}^{-1}\left( \frac{s}{s^2+9}\right) = -5 \cos 3 t$$

Likes 1 person
I just wanted to verify my answers, I don't have asolutions manual and want to make sure I am doing the problems correctly.

Thank you

Spoolx said:
I just wanted to verify my answers, I don't have asolutions manual and want to make sure I am doing the problems correctly.

Thank you

Your answer is wrong for what you WROTE, which was
[tex] f(s) = -\frac{5s}{s^2}+9[/tex]
but it would be correct if you had written
[tex] f(s) = -\frac{5s}{s^2+9}[/tex]
In text you would write this using parentheses: f(s) = -5s/(s^2+9). Such a simple step to avoid confusion!

Likes 1 person
I am sorry, the way you wrote it the second way is the way it was supposed to be written.. guess I need to learn to make proper equations.

Thanks again

What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is an operation that takes a function in the complex s-domain and calculates the corresponding function in the time domain. It is used to find the original function from its Laplace transform.

What is the difference between a Laplace transform and an inverse Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while an inverse Laplace transform converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain.

What is the formula for calculating an inverse Laplace transform?

The formula for calculating an inverse Laplace transform is f(t) = (1/2πi) ∫F(s)e^(st) ds, where f(t) is the original function, F(s) is its Laplace transform, and t is the time variable.

What is the importance of inverse Laplace transforms in scientific research?

Inverse Laplace transforms are important in many fields of science, especially in the study of linear systems and differential equations. They allow for the analysis and solution of complex problems in the time domain, making them a valuable tool in understanding and modeling real-world phenomena.

What are some common applications of inverse Laplace transforms?

Inverse Laplace transforms have a wide range of applications, including signal processing, control theory, circuit analysis, and image processing. They are also commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving differential equations and linear systems.