Sum of singular 1-cubes = boundary of a singular 2-cube?

In summary, the question asks for the existence of a singular 2-cube c:[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb {R}^2 - 0 such that c_{R_1,n} - c_{R_2,n} = \partial c, where c_{R,n} (t) = (Rcos2\pi nt, Rsin2\pi nt). The solution involves using \partial c to obtain the (i,n) - face of c, which can then be used to find c. The final solution is c(t_1,t_2) = (t_1R_1 + (1-t_1)R_2)(cos2\pi nt_2, sin
gothloli

Homework Statement

I'm doing question 23 in Chapter 4 of Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds. The question asks,
For R > O, and n an integer, define the singular l-cube,
[itex] c_{R,n} :[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb {R}^2 - 0 [/itex] by [itex] c_{R,n} (t) = (Rcos2\pi nt, Rsin2\pi nt).[/itex] Show that there is a singular 2-cube [itex] c:[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb {R}^2 - 0 [/itex] such that [itex] c_{R_1,n} - c_{R_2,n} = \partial c [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] \partial c = \sum_{i =1}^{n} \sum_{\alpha = 0,1} (-1)^{i+ \alpha} c_{i, \alpha} [/itex]
[itex] c_{i, \alpha} = c(I^n_{i,\alpha})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm confused about is probably the notation of
[itex] c_{R_2,n} [/itex] and it's relation with [itex] c_{(i, \alpha)}[/itex], are they the same thing since
[itex]c_{R,n} (t) = (Rcos2\pi nt, Rsin2\pi nt)[/itex]
, which I find difficult to connect with the
[itex](i,\alpha)[/itex]
-face of c and I.
To solve the question you use [itex] \partial [/itex] c, to get the (i, n) - face of c, from which c can be obtained. The solution is apparently
[itex]c(t_1,t_2) = (t_1R_1 + (1-t_1)R_2)(cos2\pi nt_2, sin2\pi nt_1) [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But I am not sure how to get this from the given equation c_{R_1,n} - c_{R_2,n} = \partial c. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is the meaning of "Sum of singular 1-cubes = boundary of a singular 2-cube"?

This statement refers to the mathematical concept of singular cubes and their boundaries. A singular 1-cube is a line segment, while a singular 2-cube is a square. The sum of all the line segments that make up a square is equal to the boundary of that square.

What is a singular cube?

A singular cube is a mathematical object that has a specific number of dimensions. A singular 1-cube is a line segment, a singular 2-cube is a square, a singular 3-cube is a cube, and so on.

How is the sum of singular 1-cubes related to the boundary of a singular 2-cube?

The sum of all the line segments that make up a square is equal to the boundary of that square. This is because the boundary of a square is made up of four line segments, and the sum of these four line segments is equivalent to the sum of all the line segments that make up the square.

Why is this statement important in mathematics?

This statement is important in mathematics because it helps to illustrate the concept of singular cubes and their boundaries. It also demonstrates the relationship between different dimensions and how they can be represented and related to each other.

Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept. For example, in computer graphics, 3D objects can be broken down into singular cubes to create a digital representation. Additionally, in physics, the concept of singular cubes and their boundaries is used in the study of complex systems and their behavior.