Stumped on a resistance problem

• Thread starter gstatejoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a homework assignment involving resistances and ideal batteries. The problem asks for the current through each battery and the potential difference between two points. The conversation includes the original problem, the person's attempted solution, and a potential solution provided by another person.
gstatejoe
Hello! I have tried for roughly 3 hours now with no success on this one problem. My professor assigns webassign's (homework submittal process) for just review...which isn't graded or anything and I can't seem to get this one
correct.

[I cannot imitate the emf symbol which looks like a capital script E, so I have subsituted that symbol with 'E'.]

Here is the problem:
In the figure below, the resistances are R1 = 1.3, R2 = 1.5 , and the ideal batteries have emfs E1 = 2.0 V, and E2 = E3 = 4.5 V.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9648/help6nt.gif

The problem asks for the following:
1.) What is the current through battery 1, 2 and 3
2.) and What is the potential difference Va - Vb ?

My answers were:
Batteries 1, 2, 3, = .74 A, .373 A, .373 A
Potential Difference = 3.941 V

Some of the equations I manipulated to get values:
Vb - Va = E2 - IR2 = R1 + (2R1)(2I)
I = (e2 - e1 / 4R1 + R2)

I did the problem in the book which was similar except it had different numbers, and I got that one right. But this one comes out wrong.
Can you guys tell me what I am doing wrong, and if you are able to solve the problem, what values did you get, and more importantly, how did you get them?

THANKS!o:)
Joseph
GSTATE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see your image 'cause it's pending approval...is there any way you can just host it on imageshack and post up a link??

Last edited by a moderator:
The trick is to call the potential difference between a and b, V.
This leads, for each branch, to an equation:
I1 = (V - E1) / 2 R1
I2 = (V - E2) / R2
I3 = (V - E3) / 2 R1
(that's the total potential difference per branch over the total resistance over each branch).
We have one further equation (Kirchhoff): I1 + I2 + I3 = 0.
This system of 4 equations has 4 unknowns: V, I1, I2 and I3.
cheers,
Patrick.

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current through a material. It is often represented by the symbol "R" and is measured in units called ohms.

2. How do I calculate resistance?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. In other words, resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

3. What factors affect resistance?

There are several factors that can affect resistance, including the type of material, the length and thickness of the material, and the temperature. Generally, materials with high conductivity have low resistance, while materials with low conductivity have high resistance.

4. What is the relationship between resistance and current?

Resistance and current have an inverse relationship. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

5. How can I solve a resistance problem?

To solve a resistance problem, you can use Ohm's Law to calculate the unknown value. First, determine the known values of voltage and current, then plug them into the formula R = V/I. Make sure to use the correct units for each value. If you are given multiple resistors in a circuit, you can use the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... to calculate the total resistance.