Anti-gravity - is it far from us?

In summary: Earth pulls your body with ~1000N force, which is enough to get you moving; OTOH, those same 1000N would barely move a 4000 tons cargo ship... let alone a whole planet.
vincentm
How far are we from developing this technology, also, what idea and technologies are being used to propose this to make it a possible reality?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's about as far away as something can get. There are no ideas or technologies geared toward it. We don't even know what gravity is yet.

Ehh... I wouldn't go as far as saying there are 'no' ideas geared towards it because I have seen numerous articles and proposals pertaining to anti-gravity (I'm not saying they are proven, or even work for that matter), but I think that our best bet would be supercooled semi-conductors from what I have read in the past.

It may not even exist...

Hmm I don't know... Newton's third law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." could this also apply to gravity itself?

josephjah said:
Hmm I don't know... Newton's third law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." could this also apply to gravity itself?

Then the reaction should be all around us.

josephjah said:
Ehh... I wouldn't go as far as saying there are 'no' ideas geared towards it because I have seen numerous articles and proposals pertaining to anti-gravity (I'm not saying they are proven, or even work for that matter), but I think that our best bet would be supercooled semi-conductors from what I have read in the past.

Er... you may mean supercooled superconductors as in the Podkletnov effect. If this is correct, you may want to do a search on here on that. As far as the physics community goes, this is a non-effect that has not been successfully reproduced, even by Podkletnov itself.

There will NEVER been an "engineering design" of a phenomenon that has not been verified. One verifies and understands the phenomenon FIRST, and then the engineering aspect of it comes next. So why this question is being asked in this forum before the validity aspect of it is established, I have no idea.

And oh, Newton's 3rd law works very well already with gravity. The "reaction" here is the pull on the Earth by the object the same way the object is being pulled by the earth. I thought this was clearly covered in intro Physics classes already?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And oh, Newton's 3rd law works very well already with gravity. The "reaction" here is the pull on the Earth by the object the same way the object is being pulled by the earth. I thought this was clearly covered in intro Physics classes already?
Zz.

I'm still rather amazed that I can't really grasp the idea that I am pulling on the Earth as well. I'm going to be a useless physicist.

Sorry vincentm, this isn't engineering - it isn't even physics. All anti-gravity research has produced so far is crackpots, lawsuits, and entertaining hoaxes.

Pengwuino said:
I'm still rather amazed that I can't really grasp the idea that I am pulling on the Earth as well. I'm going to be a useless physicist.

Same force, different masses, hence different accelerations.

Earth pulls your body with ~1000N force, which is enough to get you moving; OTOH, those same 1000N would barely move a 4000 tons cargo ship... let alone a whole planet.

1. What is anti-gravity?

Anti-gravity is a hypothetical concept that refers to a force that counteracts the effects of gravity, allowing objects to defy the laws of gravity and float or fly without any external support or propulsion.

2. Is anti-gravity real?

At this time, anti-gravity is still considered a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist. While there have been experiments and theories proposed, there is currently no evidence to suggest that anti-gravity is real.

3. How does anti-gravity work?

The exact mechanism of how anti-gravity would work is still unknown. Some theories suggest that it could be achieved through the manipulation of gravitational fields or the use of exotic materials with negative mass. However, these theories are still largely speculative and require further research and experimentation.

4. Can anti-gravity be used for space travel?

Potentially, yes. If anti-gravity were to be proven and successfully harnessed, it could potentially revolutionize space travel by allowing spacecraft to overcome the limitations of Earth's gravity and travel faster and more efficiently through space.

5. Is anti-gravity dangerous?

Since anti-gravity is currently only a theoretical concept, it is difficult to determine whether or not it would be dangerous. However, if it were to be successfully harnessed, it would likely require strict regulations and extensive testing to ensure its safe and responsible use.