Gravity Anomaly: What Could Be Causing It?

In summary, the conversation discusses a recently discovered gravity anomaly and the various speculations on its cause. The original poster shares an article about the anomaly and asks for others' opinions. Some suggestions include the Modified Newtonian Dynamics theory and the possibility of unseen objects causing gravitational perturbations. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the potential for a simple and obvious explanation.
Ms Music
Gravity anomaly?

I just found this article (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080229- spacecraft -anomaly.html" ), and found it incredibly interesting and wanted to share, and hear others inputs? I understand everything will be speculation, but I would like to know what you folks think could be causing this anomaly. I have a few thoughts of my own, but since I am uneducated, I will keep them to myself. :rolleyes: I am more interested in hearing what others think could be causing the anomaly.

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, please move it if it needs to be somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to delete one of the http:// from the URL, so people can click on it.

Maybe MoND(Modified Newtonian Dynamics) Is correct! Maybe there are objects that although unseen are causing slight gravitational perturbations. Maybe the Earth lack of uniform gravity is having unexpected effects. Who knows really, I bet it turns out to be something fairly obvious though. Usually does, like we forgot to account for the loss of x mass, or extra x mass, or we used the wrong units for a calculation or whatever.

Oops! Fixed! Thank you!

now I get to go read up on MoND. It will be interesting to see what the final answer is.

1. What is a gravity anomaly?

A gravity anomaly is a variation in the strength of Earth's gravitational field, which can be caused by differences in the density of the underlying materials. It is measured by comparing the observed gravity values to the expected gravity values based on the average density of Earth's crust.

2. What could be causing a gravity anomaly?

There are several potential causes of a gravity anomaly, including variations in Earth's topography, changes in the thickness or composition of the crust, or the presence of dense or less dense materials such as minerals, rocks, or bodies of water.

3. How is a gravity anomaly measured?

Gravity anomalies are typically measured using specialized instruments called gravimeters, which detect small changes in the strength of Earth's gravitational field. These measurements are then compared to a standardized baseline to determine the presence and magnitude of a gravity anomaly.

4. Can a gravity anomaly be a sign of natural hazards?

Yes, in some cases a gravity anomaly can be an indicator of potential natural hazards. For example, a large gravity anomaly near a volcano may be a sign of magma chambers or other geological disturbances that could lead to an eruption. Similarly, a gravity anomaly near a fault line may indicate the presence of underground faults that could potentially trigger earthquakes.

5. How do scientists use gravity anomalies in their research?

Gravity anomalies are an important tool for understanding Earth's structure and composition. Scientists can use gravity data to create maps of the underlying features of Earth's crust, such as mountains, valleys, and ocean trenches. They can also use gravity data to study the movement of tectonic plates and to locate natural resources such as oil and minerals.