How to differentiate conductors and semiconductors?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to differentiate between a conductor and a semiconductor, specifically in regards to a metallic glass material. The speaker wonders if a steady decline in resistivity due to heat treatment is enough evidence to conclude that the material is a semiconductor, and if there are any other experiments that can be done to determine this. It is suggested that if the material can be doped and used to create a diode, it can be classified as a semiconductor. The conversation also touches on the differences in the single particle excitation spectrum between metals and semiconductors.
y4ku24
Hello everyone,

I have a (simple?) question: How do you differentiate a material to be a conductor or a semiconductor? It is just only by examining the material's electrical resistivity/conductivity whether it is low or high? Because I have heard that even some metallic conductors have high resistivity.

For you information, I am currently working with a material called metallic glass, with a compound of Zr55Ni5Al10Cu30. It has high resistivity at room temperature and as heat treatment is applied the resistivity steadily decreases. But up to a certain point, it showed an abrupt decline (due to crystallization).

My point is, is the steady decline due to heat treatment be sufficient evident enough to conclude that the material is a semiconductor? In other words, does this behavior resides ONLY in semiconductors, and no conductors behave the same?

Or is there any other experiment(s) that I can do to justify whether the material is a semiconductor or not?

Thank you in advance.

y4ku24

Physics news on Phys.org
y4ku24 said:
Or is there any other experiment(s) that I can do to justify whether the material is a semiconductor or not?

Thank you in advance.

y4ku24

By definition a semiconductor is a substance that has more resistance that a conductor and less than an insulator, but of course common resistors have this property as well, so that's not the complete answer. Since the common usage of the word semiconductor is used to refer to a substance that can potentially create an active electronic component, I would say that if you can dope it and make a diode out of it, then you could classify it as a semiconductor. That's not to say however that if you can't do this you still don't have a semiconductor, but if you can, I'd say you could. This is not a completely qualified opinion but hopefully it's a starting point.

Thank you Buckethead for the lead.

In a metal, the single particle excitation spectrum has a discontinuity; the fermi level, In a semiconductor I think it doesn't.

1. How do I differentiate between conductors and semiconductors?

Conductors and semiconductors can be differentiated based on their ability to conduct electricity. Conductors have high conductivity, meaning they allow electricity to flow through them easily, while semiconductors have lower conductivity and can only conduct electricity under certain conditions.

2. What are some physical properties that can help distinguish conductors from semiconductors?

Physical properties such as electrical conductivity, melting point, and density can help distinguish between conductors and semiconductors. Conductors have high electrical conductivity, low melting point, and high density, while semiconductors have lower electrical conductivity, higher melting point, and lower density compared to conductors.

3. Can the band structure of a material be used to differentiate between conductors and semiconductors?

Yes, the band structure of a material can provide important information about its electrical conductivity. Conductors have a completely filled valence band and an empty conduction band, while semiconductors have a partially filled valence band and a partially filled conduction band. This difference in band structure is what allows conductors to easily conduct electricity, while semiconductors require external energy to conduct electricity.

4. Are there any techniques that can be used to determine if a material is a conductor or a semiconductor?

Several techniques can be used to determine if a material is a conductor or a semiconductor. These include using a multimeter to measure the material's electrical conductivity, performing a melting point test, and using X-ray diffraction to analyze the material's crystal structure. Additionally, studying the band structure and energy levels of the material can also provide valuable information.

5. Are there any practical applications for knowing the difference between conductors and semiconductors?

Yes, understanding the difference between conductors and semiconductors is crucial in the development of electronic devices. Semiconductors are used in the production of transistors, computer chips, and solar cells, while conductors are used in electrical wiring and circuits. Knowing which materials are conductors and which are semiconductors allows scientists to design and create more efficient and effective electronic devices.