Need a Math Refresher? Check Out Khan Academy!

In summary, for those in need of a refresher on algebra and calculus, there are several options available such as purchasing books like "Forgotten Algebra" and "Forgotten Calculus" on Amazon, doing practice problems from the books as well as using websites like Khan Academy for interactive learning and review. The Math Tutor software series is also highly recommended for comprehensive and effective math instruction.
graycolor
I'm an engineer student, and I think I need a refresher on everything from algebra to calculus. Would definitely appreciate it if some of you can provide recommendations for some math self study software.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a web site, not software, but a number of people have made favorable remarks about Khan Academy:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Disclaimer: haven't tried it myself.

graycolor said:
I'm an engineer student, and I think I need a refresher on everything from algebra to calculus. Would definitely appreciate it if some of you can provide recommendations for some math self study software.

Try looking at mat tutor dot com (without spaces of course)
The
Math Tutor educational software series is a proven family of high school and middle school math teaching and review academic tutorial software programs. Schools seeking curriculum based interactive math learning software for Grades 6-12 will find the series to be ideal. Parents in need of home school math learning and tutorial software will also find the series to be ideal. Schools, families, and individuals alike have found the Math Tutor series to offer the best math educational teaching software available anywhere. The series is also effective for remedial and developmental math instruction. The subject of pre-algebra serves as a critical foundation for the math subjects that follow. Pre-Algebra in our "Concepts and Skills Series" is an outstanding pre-algebra academic tutorial software program.

It is complemented by Pre-Algebra in our "Practice and Review Series", which is a highly effective pre-algebra review and practice instructional software package. Each of the subjects that follow pre-algebra - algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, trigonometry, and calculus - is given outstanding, comprehensive treatment by other programs in the series. For example, Algebra 1 in the "Concepts and Skills Series" will help students learn the concepts of elementary algebra, and basic problem solving. Algebra 1 in the "Practice and Review Series" will help students build mastery in solving problems of intermediate and advanced difficulty.

awkward said:
It's a web site, not software, but a number of people have made favorable remarks about Khan Academy:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Disclaimer: haven't tried it myself.

Thank you! Very useful site indeed

1. What is math software for self study?

Math software for self study is a type of computer program designed to assist individuals in learning and practicing mathematics on their own. It often includes interactive lessons, practice problems, and tutorials to help users improve their understanding and skills in various math topics.

2. What are the benefits of using math software for self study?

There are several benefits to using math software for self study. It allows individuals to learn at their own pace and provides immediate feedback on their progress. It also offers a variety of resources and tools for visual learning and can be accessed anytime and anywhere.

3. What math topics can be covered with self study software?

Math software for self study can cover a wide range of topics, from basic arithmetic and algebra to more advanced topics like calculus and statistics. Some programs may also offer specialized content in areas such as geometry, trigonometry, or linear algebra.

4. Can math software for self study replace traditional classroom learning?

No, math software for self study should not be seen as a replacement for traditional classroom learning. It can be a useful supplement, but it is important to have a balance of both self study and instruction from a teacher or tutor for a well-rounded education in mathematics.

5. Is math software for self study suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, math software for self study can be beneficial for individuals at all levels of math proficiency. It can be used by beginners to learn the basics and by advanced learners to reinforce concepts and practice more difficult problems. Some programs may offer different levels or customization options to cater to different proficiency levels.