Converting from Grams to moles

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter nieuport27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grams Moles
In summary, to determine the weight percent of BaCl2 and BaCl2 *2H2O in a mixture, a common laboratory experiment involves heating the mixture and calculating the change in mass. This is because the mass of the sample decreases as the water present is driven off.
nieuport27
If I have BaCl2 *2H2O how does that come to 8.46507394x10-3

Here is the question:
A common laboratory experiment involves the analysis of a mixture of BaCl2 and BaCl2 *2H2O. you are given a white powder that is a mixture of these compounds and are asked to determine the weight percent of each. you find that 1.392g of the mixture has a mass of 1.087g after heating it to drive off all of the water present.

Physics news on Phys.org
nieuport27 said:
If I have BaCl2 *2H2O how does that come to 8.46507394x10-3

In general - it doesn't, and what you wrote doesn't make sense. 8.46507394x10-3 of what? Cows? Marbles? mph? mpg? Stones per week?

Please note you have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

A common laboratory experiment involves the analysis of a mixture of BaCl2 and BaCl2 *2H2O. you are given a white powder that is a mixture of these compounds and are asked to determine the weight percent of each. you find that 1.392g of the mixture has a mass of 1.087g after heating it to drive off all of the water present.

Hint: why did the sample get lighter?

1. How do I convert from grams to moles?

To convert from grams to moles, you will need to know the molar mass of the substance in grams per mole. Then, divide the given mass by the molar mass to determine the number of moles.

2. What is the formula for converting grams to moles?

The formula for converting grams to moles is: number of moles = mass (in grams) / molar mass (in grams per mole).

3. Why is it important to convert from grams to moles?

Converting from grams to moles allows us to compare the amount of different substances on a molar level, which is important for chemical reactions and stoichiometry calculations.

4. Can I convert from grams to moles for any substance?

Yes, you can convert from grams to moles for any substance as long as you know the molar mass of the substance in grams per mole.

5. What is the relationship between grams and moles?

The relationship between grams and moles is that one mole of any substance contains the same number of particles (Avogadro's number), regardless of its molar mass. Therefore, the mass of one mole of a substance in grams is equal to its molar mass.