How do you stay on track in school?

In summary: I find that my productivity only really goes up when I mix in other things like going out with friends, watching TV, reading, etc.In summary, Newport's methods seem to work well for some people but others find them to be ineffective. It is important to find a balance between focusing intensely on your work and also having fun and relaxation in your life.
Square1
Hey. I was wondering if people could share their thoughts on how they keep themselves on task semester after semester after semester after semester...

I find it harder and harder as the years go by to crank out work by riding a wave of energy, imagination, in recent years - caffeine, and - (oh god i know, i even tried for thankfully only brief period of time ) nicotine.

I am always optimistic at the start of semesters but after a month and a half or two months, the dam breaks. I am forcing myself to work without this passion, the work is incredibly bland and I don't really connect to it. I typically end up cycling in periods of mini burn outs till xmas, fall behind in classes, and don't finish very strong. I feel sometimes like I am just sitting at my desk paralyzed with absolutely nothing in my head. I am not curious about what I read. I don't remember why I want to do things and how I want to use it in life. The problem remains though that my grades take a severe beating, as does my knowledge in the class since I need to make compromises to stay floating...

How do you guys stay in a routine for a semester?
Do you find that you always end up understanding the subject well, or have to just regurgitate solutions to your problems without really understanding.
Do you even stay in a routine the whole time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about your University but where i am students can and most of them DO take 1or 2 semesters off school(pause their studies) when they are really tired...

I suggest looking into reading some of Cal Newport's books since it seems you're doing it wrong.

I've read many posts on Newport's blog and his methods seem ambiguous and not useful for everyone.

Are his books different? Does he keep the real tips in those books?

I'm reading one of his books as per recommendation on this website How do be a straight A student

I find it useless that he spends a large amount of time talking about preparing essays for humanities type classes..I don't even take those classes.

I suppose this begs the question, if you are having such an unpleasant time of it, why continue at all? Graduate school involves stricter time constraints and if you don't like things now, you may not like it there either.

I probably should stop recommending his books since it seems that the only people that understand him would have found his book on their own.

tahayassen said:
I probably should stop recommending his books since it seems that the only people that understand him would have found his book on their own.

Newport does bring some interesting things to the table like focusing intently for 2 or 3 hours instead of 8 hours of 'pseudowork.' He backs it up with solid reasoning too.

But in terms of his ideas being the complete studying strategy, I'm not convinced. At least from what I've read on Study Hacks.

What are some tips for staying on track in school?

1. Create a schedule and stick to it: Set aside specific times for studying, attending classes, and completing assignments. This will help you stay organized and on track.

2. Stay organized: Keep all of your notes, assignments, and study materials in one place. This will make it easier to find what you need and stay focused.

3. Prioritize your tasks: Make a list of your assignments and tasks, and prioritize them based on their due dates and importance. This will help you stay on top of your workload.

4. Stay motivated: Remember your reasons for being in school and the goals you want to achieve. This will help you stay motivated and focused on your studies.

5. Take breaks: It's important to give your mind and body a break from studying. Take short breaks throughout the day to relax and recharge, and make sure to get enough sleep each night.