Understanding Normal Force on an Inclined Frictionless Slope

In summary, the person slides down the slope without gaining or losing y-distance, since the x-axis is parallel to the slope.
SecretSnow
Hi guys, I'm very confused by a slope question...I've read that for a person with mass m on an inclined frictionless slope, it's normal force perpendicular to the surface is always equal to the y-component of the weight. Why? I'm always thinking that since the person slides down, he can also be accelerating downwards which means there's a net resultant y-component force? Or is that impossible because at any point the net y force should be zero? Why then? Is that an assumption that the person never accelerate downwards? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is confusion about the coordinates system. Since something perpendicular to the surface, is on the y-axis direction, then the coordinates system x,y is the one that x-axis is parallel to the slope and y-axis perpendicular to it. I think that you considered that the coordinates system is the one where the y-axis is in the direction of gravity field, but this is not the case. Anyway, it doesn't matter what coordinates system you use in order to analyze the problem; actually there is no need to set a coordinates system. Just draw all the forces acting on the body, considering that the gravity force component that is perpendicular to the slope, is equal to the normal force. This should happen in order to remain always on the slope because if the perpendicular forces didn't cancel each other, then there would be perpendicular displacement.

Actually, is going down the slope (a displacement in y-distance) relevant to the question? Meaning if there's no y-velocity or force how can it travel in the y-axis direction?

SecretSnow said:
Actually, is going down the slope (a displacement in y-distance) relevant to the question? Meaning if there's no y-velocity or force how can it travel in the y-axis direction?
You're defining the y-axis as parallel to the slope? If so, the normal force is along the x-axis, and will be the x-component of g. If not, please clarify your axes.

I took my axes with x parallel to the slope surface. Even if I took the x to be entirely horizontal and a vertical y axis, the ball will still be descending in y right? Thanks!

SecretSnow said:
I took my axes with x parallel to the slope surface.
Then I'll interpret your OP in that light:
since the person slides down, he can also be accelerating downwards which means there's a net resultant y-component force?
Your y direction is normal to the surface. Since the person neither leaps off the surface nor sinks into it, there's no movement in the y direction, so no acceleration in that direction either.

haruspex said:
Then I'll interpret your OP in that light:

Your y direction is normal to the surface. Since the person neither leaps off the surface nor sinks into it, there's no movement in the y direction, so no acceleration in that direction either.

Oh I got it already! There is no y gain or decrease because the x-axis is parallel to the slope! Thanks a ton bro!

1. What is a confusing slope question?

A confusing slope question is a math problem that involves calculating the slope of a line on a graph or in a real-life scenario. These types of questions can be difficult to understand and solve because they often involve multiple variables and complex concepts.

2. How do I solve a confusing slope question?

The best way to solve a confusing slope question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the given variables and determining which formula or method is needed to calculate the slope. Then, plug in the values and carefully work through the calculations.

3. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving a confusing slope question?

One common mistake when solving a confusing slope question is mixing up the x and y coordinates when calculating the slope. It is important to remember that the slope is the change in y over the change in x. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, so always double-check which formula is needed for the specific problem.

4. Can a confusing slope question have more than one correct answer?

Yes, a confusing slope question can have more than one correct answer. This can happen when the problem involves a line with a slope of 0 or a vertical line, which has an undefined slope. In these cases, the slope can be calculated using different methods, resulting in different answers.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving confusing slope questions?

Practice is key in improving your skills in solving confusing slope questions. Start by working through sample problems and identifying any mistakes or areas where you struggle. Then, focus on those areas and try to understand the concepts behind them. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor for additional guidance and practice.