Eyepiece - Huygens versus Ramsden

• Thread starter thedy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Huygens
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two types of eyepieces, Huygens and Ramsden, and how they function in a microscope. Both eyepieces use two convex lenses and are poorly corrected, with the Ramsden being slightly better due to the reversed lens design. The resulting image is virtual and created by the eye lens, rather than the field lens. The conversation also includes links to images and resources for further understanding.
thedy
eyepiece -- Huygens versus Ramsden

Hi,can someone explain me this picture? : http://www.accessscience.com/search.aspx?rootID=792797
I don't understand,what it means,Im reading the description,but it doesn t help me.It looks,like if I use Huygens eyepiece we get virtual image,and if I use Ramsden,we get real image.But we know,that microscope resulting image is always real,isn it?
Thanks for clarifying

Physics news on Phys.org

Both eyepieces cause the light rays to exit parallel to one another. (When focused correctly) This allows you to use your eye and focus at infinity, which requires no flexing of your lens and doesn't tire your eye out.

In A) the eyepiece is a Ramsden. The light comes to focus at the focal point of the objective, then begins to spread out again until it enters the first element of the eyepiece. The element bends the light towards the 2nd element and after exiting the eyepiece the light is now collimated and ready to enter your eye.

In B) the eyepiece is a Huygens. The converging light cone doesn't come to focus before entering the first element of the eyepiece. However the end result is the same. The light exits the eyepiece collimated and ready for viewing with your eye.

Interesting question- both eyepieces consist of 2 convex lenses and are the next step in complication from a singlet. In this context, the Huyghens eyepiece is similar to a Galilean telescope while the Ramsden is similar to a Keplerian telescope. The only (thin-lens) difference appears to the spacing between elements.

Both eyepiece designs are poorly corrected- meaning the design does not have enough 'degrees of freedom' to correct more than a couple aberrations. Here, the two designs are more distinct- the Ramsden eyepiece is better corrected than the Huyghens because the lens is reversed, allowing both optical surfaces to more equally contribute to the optical power.

http://spie.org/Images/Graphics/Publications/TT82_Fig8.6Big.jpg
http://spie.org/x33112.xml

Splitting the rear element allows additional aberration correction (Kellner eyepiece)

http://spie.org/x33129.xml

As for 'real' or 'virtual' images, Drakkith is spot-on.

Thanks for answers,so if my opinion is correct,does it mean,that resulting image is virtual and it is created by eye lens,not by field lens.So in picture,which I put here is not drawn the virtual image created by eye lens...?Correct,or not?
Thanks

the confusion.

Hello,

The picture in the link you provided is showing the difference between the Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces in a microscope. The eyepiece is the lens that you look through to view the magnified image of the specimen on the microscope slide.

The Huygens eyepiece produces a virtual image, meaning that the light rays from the specimen are not actually converging to form an image, but rather the eyepiece creates the illusion of an image by using multiple lenses. This type of eyepiece is typically used in lower magnification microscopes.

On the other hand, the Ramsden eyepiece produces a real image, meaning that the light rays from the specimen are actually converging to form an image. This type of eyepiece is used in higher magnification microscopes, as it provides a clearer and more detailed image.

So, to answer your question, the resulting image from a microscope is always real, regardless of the type of eyepiece used. However, the type of eyepiece can affect the quality and clarity of the image produced. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the difference between Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces?

The main difference between Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces is the type of lens design used. Huygens eyepieces have a simple two-element design, while Ramsden eyepieces have a more complex four-element design. This results in different levels of image quality and field of view.

Which eyepiece should I choose for my telescope?

The choice between Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces depends on your specific needs and preferences. Huygens eyepieces are more affordable and suitable for simple observations, while Ramsden eyepieces are better for high magnification and detailed viewing. Consider your budget and observing goals when making your decision.

Can I use a Huygens eyepiece on a telescope that came with a Ramsden eyepiece?

Yes, you can use a Huygens eyepiece on a telescope that came with a Ramsden eyepiece. However, keep in mind that the image quality may not be as good as when using a Ramsden eyepiece on the same telescope.

Are Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces interchangeable?

No, Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces are not interchangeable. They have different designs and can only be used with telescopes that are compatible with their respective eyepiece types.

Which eyepiece type provides a wider field of view?

Ramsden eyepieces typically provide a wider field of view compared to Huygens eyepieces. This is due to their more complex design, which reduces distortion and aberrations at the edges of the field of view.