P Orbital Notation: Common Conventions

In summary, the conversation discusses a notational question about atomic p orbitals and the use of symbols such as p_\sigma and p_\pi. The figure attached shows p_x and p_z orbitals, which may represent σ and π bonds. It is mentioned that the third p orbital is not indicated. The notation is believed to signify the type of bond formed.
Hypersphere
Hi,

Reading http://rmp.aps.org/abstract/RMP/v70/i4/p1039_1 I've run into a notational question of atomic p orbitals. The authors use symbols like [itex]p_\sigma[/itex] and [itex]p_\pi[/itex]. From their fig. 3 (attached), they do look like [itex]p_x[/itex] and [itex]p_z[/itex] orbitals, respectively, rather than anything close to σ or π bonds.

Is this just a common notational convention that I've somehow missed? And if so, what is the symbol for the third p orbital?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where's the figure?

Here it is, I hope...

Attachments

• porbitals.png
    porbitals.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 483
They are the indeed ##p_x## and ##p_z##orbitals. My guess is that they are using this notation to signify that the bond formed will be a ##\sigma## or ##\pi## bond.

Ah! Now that makes some sense. Thank you.

1. What is P orbital notation?

P orbital notation is a way of representing the arrangement of electrons in the p sublevel of an atom. It uses a combination of letters and numbers to indicate the energy level, sublevel, and number of electrons in a specific orbital.

2. What are the common conventions used in P orbital notation?

The common conventions used in P orbital notation include using the letter "p" to represent the p sublevel, using numbers and letters (such as 2p, 3p) to indicate the energy level and sublevel respectively, and using superscripts to represent the number of electrons in each orbital (such as 2p3).

3. How are the orbitals in the p sublevel labeled in P orbital notation?

The three orbitals in the p sublevel are labeled as px, py, and pz in P orbital notation. These labels correspond to the different orientations in which the electrons can exist within the p sublevel.

4. Can electrons in the p sublevel have the same energy?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers, including energy. This means that electrons in the same p sublevel must have different energies.

5. How do you determine the number of electrons in each p orbital using P orbital notation?

The superscript number in P orbital notation represents the number of electrons in each p orbital. For example, if the notation is 3p4, it means that there are 4 electrons in the 3p sublevel, with 2 electrons in each of the px, py, and pz orbitals.