Gas fittings: Chromatograph and Sputtering

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with identifying and finding parts for their Plasma Sciences CrC-150 Sputtering system, specifically gas fittings and a gas dryer/purifier. They mention a past experience with a chemist who used 1/16" or 1/8" stainless steel components for their gas chromatograph. They also express their gratitude to someone at Torr for providing them with an answer.
Mike_In_Plano
Hello,

I'm attempting to restore my Plasma Sciences CrC-150 Sputtering system, and I'm having a terrible time working out the source gas fittings.
Each is a brass compression fitting with a roughly 1/4" mean thread diameter.

The last time I used this machine, a chemist helped me by assembling a 1/16" or 1/8" stainless steel tube with stainless steel nuts and graphite ferrules. At the time he said the components were normally used for his gas chromatograph.

I'd greatly appreciate help identifying these parts as well as finding a reasonably priced gas dryer/purifier and associated adapters.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hah! It was a 1/8" swagelok tube fitting.
Many thanks to a young man at Torr for getting me the answer.

Stay Warm My Friends,

Mike

1. What is a gas chromatograph and how does it work?

A gas chromatograph is a scientific instrument used to analyze the components of a gas mixture. It works by separating the different components of the gas mixture based on their physical and chemical properties, such as boiling point and molecular weight. This is achieved by passing the gas mixture through a column filled with a stationary phase material, which interacts differently with each component, causing them to separate and exit the column at different times. The separated components are then detected and quantified, providing information about the composition of the gas mixture.

2. What is sputtering and how is it used in gas fittings?

Sputtering is a process in which atoms from a solid material are ejected from its surface due to bombardment by high energy particles. In gas fittings, sputtering is used to deposit a thin layer of material onto a surface, allowing for precise control over the composition and thickness of the deposited layer. This is important in gas fittings as it can improve the performance and durability of the fittings, as well as reduce the risk of gas leaks.

3. What types of gas fittings can be analyzed using a gas chromatograph?

A gas chromatograph can be used to analyze a wide range of gas fittings, including valves, regulators, connectors, and pipelines. It is particularly useful for detecting and quantifying trace amounts of impurities or contaminants in gas fittings, which can affect their performance and safety.

4. How does sputtering affect the surface properties of gas fittings?

Sputtering can alter the surface properties of gas fittings by depositing a thin layer of material on the surface. This can improve the surface hardness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance of the fittings, making them more durable and reliable. Sputtering can also be used to modify the surface chemistry of the fittings, allowing for the incorporation of functional groups that can enhance their performance in specific applications.

5. What are the advantages of using gas chromatography and sputtering in gas fittings analysis?

The main advantages of using gas chromatography and sputtering in gas fittings analysis are accuracy, sensitivity, and versatility. Gas chromatography can detect and quantify even trace amounts of impurities in gas fittings, providing highly accurate results. Sputtering allows for precise control over the deposition of thin films, making it a versatile technique for modifying the surface properties of gas fittings. Together, these techniques can provide valuable information about the composition and performance of gas fittings, helping to ensure their safe and efficient operation.