What is the relationship between inflation and the beginning of the universe?

In summary, the paper discusses problems with the idea of an inflationary universe that does not have a beginning. It was written by two Princeton professors a few years ago.
heusdens
http://bubba.ucdavis.edu/~infl03/Anthony_Aguirre/infl_infl.pdf"

http://arxiv.org/ps/gr-qc/0301042

COMMENT:

I tried the links myself, and you can download them using "right-mouse/save as" at the link, and the files (first: PDF, second: PS) will be stored to disk.

Note: the PS file comes with an extra ".gz" extention. Remove that extention, and get a PS file viewer to read it.

If it doesn't work then simply do a Google search

Google "infl_infl.pdf"

Google "gr-qc/0301042"

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very intersting paper. I had some trouble with your links but located the paper with the arxiv get on the number.

This would provide a scientific basis for the dialectical materialism satz of no beginning-no end of the universe, no?

It would seem not. Many papers have been written over the past years that show that even an inflationary universe likely has a beginning. I posted several links some time ago, and I'll see if I can find them again.

I thought it was interesting too (though not entirely comprehensible)
the link you gave just had couple of extra letters
in it---when you erase the "ps/" you get something I think will work
both authors are at princeton, one at the institute for advanced
studies

http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0301042

Originally posted by Eh
It would seem not. Many papers have been written over the past years that show that even an inflationary universe likely has a beginning. I posted several links some time ago, and I'll see if I can find them again.

Obviously inflation theory has progressed...

But I bring this paper here not because I think it's the last word on this topic.

If you ask me, there is no way in which science can ever settle this "origin of the universe" question, since we will never have complete and abdolute knowledge about the universe.

Do you know when the paper was written? Does it address the problems, such as an eternal inflation violating the weak energy principle? As I said, a lot of papers have been written on the subject over the past few years, and the original idea of an inflationary universe without beginning seems to have been discounted by a lot of cosmologists.

This might be a good question to post to the newsgroup sci.physics.research. Several physicists post there and could shed some light on the subject.

I took this paper from http://bubba.ucdavis.edu/~infl03/Schedule.htm" website.

What is "Inflation without a beginning"?

"Inflation without a beginning" is a theory that suggests that our universe has always existed and that there was no singular event that triggered the Big Bang. It proposes that the universe has been expanding and contracting in cycles for an infinite amount of time.

What evidence supports the idea of "Inflation without a beginning"?

One of the main pieces of evidence for this theory is the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is thought to be leftover radiation from the Big Bang. However, recent studies have shown that this radiation is not as uniform as previously thought, which could support the idea of a cyclical universe.

How does "Inflation without a beginning" differ from the traditional Big Bang theory?

The traditional Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. "Inflation without a beginning" proposes that the universe has always existed and has been expanding and contracting in cycles.

What implications does "Inflation without a beginning" have for the origins of the universe?

If this theory is true, it would mean that the universe has no true beginning and has always existed. This challenges traditional ideas of the origins of the universe and raises questions about what existed before the Big Bang.

What further research is needed to support or disprove "Inflation without a beginning"?

More data and observations from telescopes and satellites, as well as advancements in theoretical models, are needed to further investigate this theory. Additionally, experiments such as the detection of gravitational waves could provide more evidence for or against "Inflation without a beginning".