Is Grey the New Sexy? Exploring the Attractiveness of Grey Hair

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary: Grey hair does look better than dyed hair in my opinion...it looks so silly when you see some guy who is clearly in his 40s (or worse, in his 80s) with jet-black hair. Only thing worse is a bad hair peice. :rolleyes:

Grey hair

• I am female and I have grey hair

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I am male and I have grey hair

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I am female and think it attractive

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I am male and think it attractive

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mk
What do you think? Can grey hair be attractive? How many of you guys dye your hair?

Physics news on Phys.org
It beats being bald.

I suppose I could put it to the test. :biggrin:

I have grey hair (it's more salt and pepper) and a grey beard, and probably in 15-20 years it will be white like my grandfathers' hair.

On a woman, I would expect to see grey hair at some point. For women, I don't think it necessary for them to color the hair. In fact, I know several elderly women, and I think they look attractive with grey hair, and as they age, I would imagine they still look fine and attractive with white hair.

Well, I tend to be a naturalist in those regards. I think most or all cosmetics and makeup are unnecessary. But then that's me.

I like silver hair!

I don't understand the poll.

I am male and have grey hair - and I find it attractive - but on women. How shall I vote?

LeBard's got it: it WAY beats being bald.

Grey hair can look very attractive on men. Especially white at the temples.

White hair on a woman can also look very attractive, especially if there's lots of it.

Grey hair on men is very attractive.

I got grey hair. o_O

Ooops, the poll only let's you do one choice, I meant it to be a checkmark poll.

I'm indifferent to gray hair. It doesn't matter to me if someone has begun to go gray or not on the attractiveness scale (though, most men my age have some degree of gray hair already, so it's not really an option). Gray hair does look better than dyed hair in my opinion...it looks so silly when you see some guy who is clearly in his 40s (or worse, in his 80s) with jet-black hair. Sorry, but it's not going to fool anyone. I find someone who is not vain about their gray hair to be attractive. :smile:

Ive got all the right hair in all the wrong places.

I've not even been working for 6 months and I've already found grey hairs. I've been going bald gradually for a couple of years now, but it's definitely visibly thin on top now. Anyway, I'm sexy, and I'm grey and bald (well, going that way), so it can't be too bad can it?

When was I supposed to have hit my physical peak? I'm worried I missed it!

When was I supposed to have hit my physical peak? I'm worried I missed it!

You reach it when you go to the gym and workout hard for 6 months. :smile:

hypatia said:
I like silver hair!
Evo said:
Grey hair on men is very attractive.
:biggrin:
Moonbear said:
I'm indifferent to gray hair.
Well, I'd even accept that. At least you're not repelled or offended. :biggrin:
Moonbear said:
Gray hair does look better than dyed hair in my opinion...it looks so silly when you see some guy who is clearly in his 40s (or worse, in his 80s) with jet-black hair.
:rofl: Only thing worse is a bad hair peice. :rolleyes:

As for me, my hair what it is. WYSIWYG.

Astronuc, you would be a celebrity in the Middle East with that beard. Imam Astronuc, Rabbi Astronuc, its win win for you.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Astronuc, you would be a celebrity in the Middle East with that beard.
Some have mentioned OBL. I have been greeted in Yiddish and Hebrew on the street. One gentlemen was offended when I didn't immediately respond. I did not know he was addressing me. I had to explain that I was not Jewish.

I have been served kosher meals on flights. :biggrin: People just assume. :rolleyes:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Imam Astronuc, Rabbi Astronuc, its win win for you.
Unless I get caught in a cross-fire. :rofl:

The avatar picture was taken in diffuse sunlight. My hair is actually darker and looks frosted with silver and grey.

I can't wait to travel abroad again. It will be easy to get out of the US, but may be hard to get back in. :rofl:

astronuc looks like on of my chemistry teachers. Mr Mathews.

Mk, what would posess you to ask this question? lol

Zygotic Embryo said:
Mk, what would posess you to ask this question? lol
Maybe he's looking ahead. :rofl: I think Mk is way to young to be worried about grey hair.

The other thing is that this will likely be age dependent. A young person is more likely to be attracted to young people who likely do not have grey hair. An older, more mature person, will likely accept the fact that people of that age may have grey hair.

Ha.

Thats true.

Actually, at my school. Alot of people put grey streek's in their hair.

Astronuc said:
Maybe he's looking ahead. :rofl: I think Mk is way to young to be worried about grey hair.
If you have very dark hair, you'll noticed those first few gray hairs pretty quickly. Maybe he just discovered one and is starting to worry.

The other thing is that this will likely be age dependent. A young person is more likely to be attracted to young people who likely do not have grey hair. An older, more mature person, will likely accept the fact that people of that age may have grey hair.
Yes, that's true. I remember how shocked I was the first time I met up with an old friend from high school who I hadn't seen since high school, and he had gone almost completely gray...I don't really notice it usually, but it was just that I still remembered how he looked in high school as my last memory of his appearance, so the sudden contrast really hit me that, yes, I'm at that age when my contemporaries are going gray...though, not me yet :biggrin: Or maybe I am, but with my hair color, you really can't tell at all if there are some gray hairs somewhere; I couldn't tell my aunt was going gray until she was well into her 60s, and we have very similar hair colors, but when I'm old and completely gray, I'm going to flaunt my long, silver locks! :approve:

I have a bit of a thing for older women and though I wouldn't likely date one that was obviously greying (too much of an age gap to have a real relationship most likely) I would probably still find her attractive.

My father was almost completely grey by the time he was 35. So far I haven't any noticable grey. I've been told by a girlfriend or two that they found one here or there. Either way I wouldn't mind it. If the curls at my temples started going grey I might start to have that Reed Richards/Dr Strange look going on. I could definitely live with that.:biggrin:

You guys are crazy. Baldies are hot. :!)
http://xs66.xs.to/pics/06055/shakes.jpg

I think the only thing I would find unattractive is someone dying or not dying their hair for what I considered bad reasons, e.g. problems coping with aging, giving into pressure from others, and such. I can't think of any reason why I would dye my hair if it greys.

I remember a lady at a church I went to (or was dragged to, whatever) when I was a kid. She had long, full, white hair. I always looked for her -- she looked angelic, always smiling and graceful. I haven't seen many women with long, white hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grey hair can be very attractive, although our new imam's beard is somewhat..uhm..abundant(?). (Vigorous is perhaps a better word, although I'm not sure..)

i think gray hair can look really good on men and women. i don't mind dyed hair either, but i think its best to be one or the other. i know some women who were going gray, and just dyed it all gray to save themselves the trouble.

also, moonbear, my dad is 50, and he still has almost all his jet black hair. he has a few grays, mostly in his moustache, but his head is almost the same as when he was younger, cept that recently he's liked to grow it out.. but yeah, he doesn't dye it.

Grey hair sucks man (no offense to other grey haired guys)... atleast in my school.
There is this emo friend of mine, Callam, he's got kinda grey hair, and there you go, you all know what my friends are like.
Hes got dandrauff and long hair. And guess what, the best way to annoy him is to say "Callam doesn't wash his hair" (To tell you the truth I do doubt he washes his hair).
Today, my friends (yeah, not me, I was only the audience) put some yogurt on his head. :lol:

I like gray hair so much that I spend about 10 minutes every few weeks pulling them out. The problem is that when I pull them out, I've got all these short hairs sticking up all over the place as they grow out. Eventually, all the gray hairs that I'm pulling out will become part of my bangs. All bangs and nothing else if I keep up at this rate.

___ said:
Grey hair sucks man (no offense to other grey haired guys)... atleast in my school.
There is this emo friend of mine, Callam, he's got kinda grey hair, and there you go, you all know what my friends are like.
Hes got dandrauff and long hair. And guess what, the best way to annoy him is to say "Callam doesn't wash his hair" (To tell you the truth I do doubt he washes his hair).
Today, my friends (yeah, not me, I was only the audience) put some yogurt on his head. :lol:

that's really really horrible. even if you just watched, i think that refelcts poorly on yourself. that kind of behavior is really disgusting. i don't care if that boy doesn't shower properly, no one has a right to treat him so horribly. seriously, have you thought of how it would feel to be him?

where's the option for "i'm a teenager and that's a definate no"?

Gale said:
that's really really horrible. even if you just watched, i think that refelcts poorly on yourself. that kind of behavior is really disgusting. i don't care if that boy doesn't shower properly, no one has a right to treat him so horribly. seriously, have you thought of how it would feel to be him?
Yeah, he's even leaving the school in April... :shy:

Let's see - Guru, rabbi, imam, archangel (with a very nice sword and funny clothes), . . . . what did I leave out? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, there is butler, chauffer, masseur, doorman, gardener, cook, dishwasher, handyman, puddle step, pet sitter, . . . . :biggrin:

Anything else?

I noticed a woman's hair at work today; she's graying, but it had the effect of looking like auburn hair with silver highlights. (Maybe she dyed it for that effect? I don't know) It looked nice.

1. Is it true that grey hair is becoming more attractive?

There is no definitive answer to this question as attractiveness is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, there is evidence to suggest that society's perception of grey hair is shifting and it is being viewed as more attractive than in the past.

2. Why is grey hair considered attractive?

Some people find grey hair attractive because it is associated with maturity, wisdom, and experience. Additionally, grey hair can be seen as a sign of confidence and self-acceptance, which can be attractive qualities.

3. Does grey hair suit everyone?

As with any hair color, whether grey hair suits someone or not depends on their individual features and personal style. Some people may find that grey hair enhances their appearance, while others may prefer a different hair color.

4. Can grey hair be styled in different ways?

Yes, grey hair can be styled in many different ways, just like any other hair color. It can be cut, colored, and styled to suit an individual's preferences and face shape.

5. Is there a specific age when grey hair becomes attractive?

Again, attractiveness is subjective and there is no specific age when grey hair becomes attractive. Some people may find grey hair attractive at a younger age, while others may prefer it on older individuals. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference.