Calculating Speed & Height of a Spring-Released Ball

• Thread starter chazgurl4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the vertical spring has a spring stiffness constant of 900 N/m and is compressed down 0.110 m. When released, it can give a 0.300 kg ball an upward speed of 2.05 m/s. The height above its original position that the ball will fly is not specified in the conversation.
chazgurl4life
A vertical spring (ignore its mass), whose spring stiffness constant is 900 N/m, is attached to a table and is compressed down 0.110 m.
(a) What upward speed can it give to a 0.300 kg ball when released?
-----------m/s
(b) How high above its original position (spring compressed) will the ball fly?
------m

Now if I am following my lecture notes correctly for part a)
I am using the equation is that V^2=KX^2
-------
mass of ball
so when we out it all out it should be v^2=900n/m(-.110m)^2
-----------------
.300 kg

-------------------------->v=6.02 m/s but that answer is wron apparently. I don't know where I am going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't mind seeing the derivation for this formula, do you have it?
chazgurl4life said:
V^2=KX^2

the original equation is
.5mass1v^2+ .5kx^2=1/2mass2v^2+ .5kx^2
==>0+1/2mv^2=1/2Kx^2 +0
===>v^2=kx^2/mass

chazgurl4life said:
the original equation is
.5mass1v^2+ .5kx^2=1/2mass2v^2+ .5kx^2
==>0+1/2mv^2=1/2Kx^2 +0
===>v^2=kx^2/mass

That look's better, however, you are still ignoring gravitational potential. Are you happy assuming the GPE is negligable?

so how do i intergrate that with this problem?

What is the equation for GPE?

the equation that i was taught was that U=MGH

well there you go, just add this in like so;

[tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh[/tex]

However, if you haven't incorperated GPE in this type of porblem before, I would ask you tutor before doing so. :smile:

ok so since we are ignoring mass the:

.5(900N/M)(.110^2)=.5(v^2) +(h)(9.8)

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a spring-released ball?

The formula for calculating the speed of a spring-released ball is v = √(kx^2/m), where v is the speed, k is the spring constant, x is the distance the spring is compressed, and m is the mass of the ball.

How do you determine the height of a spring-released ball?

The height of a spring-released ball can be determined using the formula h = (kx^2)/(2mg), where h is the height, k is the spring constant, x is the distance the spring is compressed, m is the mass of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What units are used to measure the speed and height of a spring-released ball?

The speed of a spring-released ball is typically measured in meters per second (m/s), while the height is measured in meters (m). However, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) and feet (ft) can also be used.

Do you need to account for air resistance when calculating the speed and height of a spring-released ball?

No, air resistance is typically negligible when calculating the speed and height of a spring-released ball. This is because the ball is moving at a relatively low speed and is only in the air for a short period of time.

Can the speed and height of a spring-released ball be affected by the surface it lands on?

Yes, the surface that the ball lands on can affect its speed and height. A softer surface, such as grass, will absorb more of the ball's energy and result in a lower speed and height. A harder surface, such as concrete, will have less absorption and result in a higher speed and height.