Rollercoaster& velocity problem

In summary, the problem involves a roller coaster on a ramp with three different positions (h1 = 38 m, h2 = 12 m, h3 = 20 m). The average friction force is one third of the roller coaster's weight, and the question is asking for the speed at point 2 (between h1 and h2) given a starting speed at point 1 and a total distance traveled of 35.0 m. The equation to use is F_friction = μmg, and after substituting in the values, the masses will cancel out.
chazgurl4life
Suppose the roller coaster in Fig. 6-41 (h1 = 38 m, h2 = 12 m, h3 = 20) passes point 1 with a speed of 1.40 m/s. If the average force of friction is equal to one third of its weight, with what speed will it reach point 2? The distance traveled is 35.0 m.
m/s

Please view atachment

I don't even know where to start with this problem

Attachments

• 6-41alt.gif
    6-41alt.gif
    18 KB · Views: 759
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you problem isn't going to get answered ASAP, it takes a while for attachments to be approved. Perhaps if you described your problem?

ok so there is a rollercoaster on the ramp and there are 3 diffeternt positions allocated (hi= 38m, H2=12m, H3=20m). Now according to the problem there is a friction force on the rollercoaster which amount to 1/3 of thr rollercoaster's weight. But they don't give the weight of the rollercoaster. Since there is a long distance between hi and h2 they want to know what's the velocity at point 2 ( which is btween H1 &2). My porblem is that i don't even know what equations i should be using because my prof always gave us similar problems in which mass was given. is so i would use :

mgd=mgd2 + friction(distance)

chazgurl4life said:
mgd=mgd2 + friction(distance)

That is the correct equation to use. Think about how else you could write the frictional force. What other equations do you know for friction?

force of friction = coefficient of friction X normal force
coefficient of friction mass(9.8)
Force of Friction= coefficient of friction x mgcostheta
with the other equation : friction =mgd/mgd2
-----------
distance

[tex]F_{friction} = \mu R = \mu mg[/tex]

Substitute [itex]F_{friction} = \mu mg[/itex] into your equation and you will find that the masses cancel...

umg=mgd/mgd2
u=d/d2

chazgurl4life,

I think you did a mistake:

umg=mgd/mgd2
um = d/d2

Only the masses in bold cancel and g.

oh ok thanx

What is the relationship between velocity and rollercoaster physics?

The velocity of a rollercoaster is a key factor in understanding the physics of its motion. Velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes over time, and in the case of a rollercoaster, it is constantly changing as the coaster moves along the track. The steeper the track, the faster the coaster's velocity will be. Additionally, the amount of kinetic energy the coaster has is directly related to its velocity.

How is velocity calculated for a rollercoaster?

Velocity for a rollercoaster is calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is velocity, g is acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and h is the height of the hill. This formula only takes into account the potential energy and does not factor in friction or other forces that may affect the coaster's speed.

Why is velocity important in rollercoaster design?

Velocity is crucial in rollercoaster design because it determines the overall experience of the ride. The speed and changes in velocity, such as sudden drops or twists, create the thrilling sensations that make rollercoasters popular. Designers must carefully consider the velocity of the coaster at different points along the track to ensure a fun and safe ride for passengers.

How does velocity affect the safety of a rollercoaster?

Velocity plays a significant role in the safety of a rollercoaster. If the coaster travels too fast, passengers may experience uncomfortable or even dangerous levels of g-forces. On the other hand, if the coaster does not have enough velocity, it may not make it up hills or through loops, resulting in a stalled or incomplete ride. Designers must carefully balance velocity with other factors, such as track design and passenger safety, to create a successful rollercoaster.

Can velocity be controlled on a rollercoaster?

Yes, velocity can be controlled on a rollercoaster through various means, such as using brakes, changing the angle of the track, or adding boosters. These methods are used to slow down or speed up the coaster to maintain a safe and enjoyable ride for passengers. However, the overall velocity of a rollercoaster is also affected by external factors, such as wind resistance and friction, which cannot be fully controlled.