Parallel Batteries: Power a Wheelchair Motor

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the current provided to a wheelchair motor using two automobile batteries connected in parallel, with each battery having an emf of 12.0 V and internal resistance of 0.020 ohms, and the motor having a resistance of 1.00 ohms. The current is found to be -12.1 Amps, but upon rechecking, it is corrected to be 11.9A. The discussion then moves on to comparing the current in a series circuit, which is calculated to be 23.1A, leading to a question about the relationship between current and voltage in series circuits.
moo5003
Problem:

"Two automobile batteries are connected in parallel to power a wheelchair. If each of the batteries has an emf = 12.0 V and internal resistance r = .020 ohms, and the wheelchair motor has a resistance R = 1.00 Ohms, find the current provided to the motor. What would be the current delivered to the motor if the batteries were connected in series? What are the relative advantages of series and parallel connections?"

Work thus far:

I used 3 equations to solve for the current across the wheelchair.

I(1) + I(2) = I(3) (Current In = Current Out)
-I(1)r(1) + emf - I(3)R = 0 (Circuit loop 1)
-I(2)r(2) + emf - I(3)R = 0 (Circuit loop 2)

Solving for I(3) after 4-5 lines:

I(3) = (2*emf*r) / (2r-2Rr)

I(3) = -12.1 Amps.
I wasnt really expecting a negative answer. I have the current over R from negative to positive, thus I'm not totally sure why its negative.

I havnt done series yet because I wanted to confirm the work I did for // first.

Physics news on Phys.org
moo5003 said:
"Two automobile batteries...

That tells me we are going to work with loops in this particular situations...

Current is the same in series, Voltage is the same in parallel.

Now, I cannot confirm your signs without a picture showing which way you decided to use for the current flow...

Heres the picture (Roughly went thru paint)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 369
Use..

http://pics.xs.to/

to upload picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=CircuitSketch010101.JPG&h=xs73&d=06121

I figured out my problem, I just did some algebra wrong. the answer I came out with was:

2Er / r^2 + 2Rr

= 11.9A

My problem now is that I have to compare to a series circuit set up.. but this leads me to the same problem I had on another thread. If they are in series I'm not totally sure how to find the amerage.

What I did thus far was:

Loop: -Ir + E - Ir +E - IR = 0

I = 2E / 2r + R

I = 23.1A

I thought series would have less amps and more voltage...

Last edited:

1. How do parallel batteries power a wheelchair motor?

Parallel batteries are connected in a circuit where the positive terminals are connected to each other and the negative terminals are connected to each other. This allows for a higher overall voltage output and longer battery life, which in turn provides more power to the wheelchair motor.

2. What are the advantages of using parallel batteries to power a wheelchair motor?

The main advantage of using parallel batteries is that it provides increased power and longer battery life compared to using a single battery. This is especially important for devices such as wheelchairs that require a reliable and consistent power source.

3. How many batteries are typically used in a parallel battery setup for a wheelchair motor?

The number of batteries used in a parallel setup can vary, but typically two or more batteries are used. This allows for a higher overall voltage output and more power to be delivered to the wheelchair motor.

4. Can any type of battery be used in a parallel setup to power a wheelchair motor?

No, it is important to use batteries with the same voltage and capacity in a parallel setup to ensure equal distribution of power. Using different types of batteries can result in uneven charging and discharging, which can damage the batteries and affect the performance of the wheelchair motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using parallel batteries to power a wheelchair motor?

Yes, it is important to follow manufacturer's guidelines and instructions when setting up a parallel battery system. This includes using the correct type and number of batteries, ensuring proper connections and wiring, and monitoring the batteries for signs of damage or wear. It is also important to use caution when handling and charging the batteries to prevent any potential hazards.