Velocity of the water flowing through the pipe

In summary: Area in m^2; flow rate in m^3/sec; speed in m/sec.Area in m^2; flow rate in m^3/sec; speed in m/sec.In summary, the flow rate is 10.39 m/s and the cross-sectional area of the pipe is 290.435 m^2.
Struggling
Hi,

i have a rotameter reading, flow rate (lit/min), Head Loss(mm) and diameter of a pipe.

from this i need to find out the Velocity of the water flowing through the pipe.

iam confused as to what formula to use to find this out, i have searched through 2 textbooks and cannot find anything.

can anyone help me in the right direction as to which formula i should be using.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read this: http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Pressure/VolumeFlowRate.html

Last edited by a moderator:
i know those formulas but i struggle to see where my data fits into the equation.
i think i must be lost with the meaning of the rotameter and flow rates given.

*** edit thought about it longer

sorry hang on is it saying

Flow rate = cross sectional area x velocity?

Struggling said:
Flow rate = cross sectional area x velocity?
That's the one.

do you mind if i ask, if my flow rate is 0.3 lit/min, and my cross sectional area is A = pi/4(19.23) = 15.103 mm^2

V = av
v = a/V
v = 15.103/0.3 = 50.34?

or was it ment to be v = V/a?
my basic math is shocking :blushing:

*** never mind I am 90% sure its v = V/a so the answer would be 0.02m/s or 2 cm/s which makes more sense than 50.34 m

Last edited:
I'm suspicious of your area formula: what data are you actually given?

Before using: Flow rate = (Area)*(speed), or speed = (Flow rate)/(area), be sure to convert everything into standard units:

Area in m^2; flow rate in m^3/sec; speed in m/sec.

To convert from liters/minute, realize that:

1 (liter)/(minute) = (10^-3 m^3)/(60 seconds)

(or you can look up a unit conversion chart)

we did some tests using rotameters. The rotameters would return results such as 50mm on rotameter 10 (i forget what the sizes mean) we then had a graph for the size rotameter we used and we would look at the graph and find 50mm to have a flow rate of 0.3 (lit/min).

so eg for a size 18 rotameter with a reading of 151mm the flow rate was found to be on the graph 5.75 (lit/min) giving me the velocity of 0.381 m/s

i have the diameter of the tube inside which is 19.23mm. by memory i thought that the cross sectional area of a tube to be A = pi/4 x (Diameter)

Last edited:
or is the area supposed to be A = pi x diameter x diameter. ?

Struggling said:
i have the diameter of the tube inside which is 19.23mm. by memory i thought that the cross sectional area of a tube to be A = pi/4 x (Diameter)
The area of a circle is:
Area = pi*radius^2 = (pi/4)*(Diameter)^2

where (Diameter)^2 = (Diameter)x(Diameter)

ah ok so its...

A = pi/4*19.23^2 = 290.435 ?

so for a rate of flow of 0.3 lit/min

the answer would be

0.3 = 290.435*v
0.3/290.435 = v
v = 0.00103m/s

Last edited:
Put you data into standard units: length in meters, not mm; area in m^2, not mm^2. (Once you've used the formula to find the answer, you can convert the answer to any units you like.)

the only data i have is 19.23mm(0.1923 m) diameter and the flow rate which is lit/min.

Area in m^2; flow rate in m^3/sec; speed in m/sec.

To convert from liters/minute, realize that:

1 (liter)/(minute) = (10^-3 m^3)/(60 seconds)

to convert this into m^3/sec is totally baffaling me.
We got a rotameter reading in mm, looked at a graph which gave us the flow rate in lit/min.
why does this have to be changed?
unless it doesn't i had got

v = 0.3/0.02904
v = 10.39 m/s

thanks

Last edited:
Struggling said:
We got a rotameter reading in mm, looked at a graph which gave us the flow rate in lit/min.
why does this have to be changed?
If you don't change to standard units, your expression for speed will have units of:

(lit/min)/(m^2) :yuck: , which is certainly not equivalent to m/s.

But if you expressed the flow rate in m^3/s, your speed will have units of:

(m^3/s)/(m^2) = m/s o:)

Argghhhhh i don't know how to do it. my heads aching lol.
its very late maybe i should sleep on it.
any other info or help on how to convert it would be much appreciated.
thanks!

thanks Doc Al, youve been a lot of help :smile:

Struggling said:
any other info or help on how to convert it would be much appreciated.
I thought I showed how to do the conversion in post #6? Do the indicated arithmetic! (Or you can just Google it. Try it.)

What is the velocity of water flowing through a pipe?

The velocity of water flowing through a pipe is the speed at which the water is moving through the pipe. It is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or feet per minute.

How is the velocity of water in a pipe calculated?

The velocity of water in a pipe can be calculated by dividing the volume flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This can be represented by the equation v = Q/A, where v is velocity, Q is volume flow rate, and A is cross-sectional area.

What factors affect the velocity of water in a pipe?

The velocity of water in a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the diameter of the pipe, the shape of the pipe, the viscosity of the water, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe. Other factors such as the pressure and temperature of the water can also impact the velocity.

Why is it important to measure the velocity of water in a pipe?

Measuring the velocity of water in a pipe is important for several reasons. It can help determine the efficiency of the pipe system, identify areas of potential blockage or leaks, and ensure that the water is flowing at the desired rate for the intended use, such as in a plumbing or irrigation system.

How can the velocity of water in a pipe be controlled?

The velocity of water in a pipe can be controlled by adjusting the pressure or flow rate of the water, as well as by modifying the design of the pipe system. Adding valves, reducers, or bends can also help regulate the velocity. Additionally, regularly monitoring and maintaining the pipe system can help ensure the desired velocity is maintained.