How Is the Lower Bound of Neutrino Mass Calculated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding how the lower bound of the neutrino mass is determined in a paper. The speaker has highlighted the relevant section but is still unsure of the calculation. The other person suggests checking if there is any missing information and provides a link to the paper. After further investigation, the speaker figures out the calculation.
frazzle
I was wondering if anyone could help clarify this problem I am having.

Upon reading a section in a paper, I am a bit stuck as to how this value of the lower bound of the neutrino mass is reached here. I have highlighted the relevant part in the snapshot below:http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/3...inomass3fk.jpg Is there something missing from this passage, or am I just missing something blindingly obvious? I can't seem to understand how the two squared mass differences coupled with the assumption of hierarchy lead to the quoted value!

in case you're curious, the paper is:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph?papernum=0407207

thank you for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no worries, I've figured it out now.

The lower bound of the neutrino mass is a topic that has been extensively studied and debated in the scientific community. It is a value that is still not fully understood and is subject to ongoing research and discoveries.

From the passage you highlighted, it seems that the authors are discussing the lower bound of the neutrino mass in the context of the cosmological model they are working with. They mention that the value of the lower bound is related to the squared mass differences and the assumption of hierarchy.

To understand this, we need to first understand the concept of neutrino mass hierarchy. Neutrinos come in three different types or flavors - electron, muon, and tau. The squared mass differences mentioned in the passage refer to the differences in the squared masses of these different flavors of neutrinos. The assumption of hierarchy refers to the order in which these squared mass differences are arranged - either in an increasing or decreasing order.

Based on current experimental data, scientists have observed that the squared mass differences are not equal for all three flavors of neutrinos. This implies that there is a hierarchy in the masses of these neutrinos. Now, based on this hierarchy and the assumption of a minimum value for the squared mass differences, scientists can calculate the lower bound for the neutrino mass.

However, it is important to note that this lower bound is still a theoretical calculation and there is no direct experimental evidence to support it. It is also subject to change as we continue to study and understand neutrino properties.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the concept of the lower bound of the neutrino mass. It is a complex topic and it is completely understandable to have doubts and questions about it. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to reach out for clarification when needed.

1. What is the "neutrino mass lower-bound" and why is it important in particle physics?

The neutrino mass lower-bound is a term used in particle physics to refer to the theoretical minimum mass of a neutrino. This value is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of neutrinos, which are one of the most abundant particles in the universe and play a crucial role in many physical processes.

2. How is the neutrino mass lower-bound determined?

The neutrino mass lower-bound is determined through a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. Scientists use data from particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and astrophysical observations to constrain the possible range of neutrino masses. These data are then used in mathematical models to calculate the minimum possible mass of a neutrino.

3. Is the neutrino mass lower-bound a fixed value?

No, the neutrino mass lower-bound is not a fixed value. It is an ongoing area of research and new data and theories can change our understanding of the minimum mass of neutrinos. Currently, the most widely accepted lower-bound is around 0.06 eV (electronic volts), but this could change as we continue to learn more about neutrinos.

4. What are the implications of a non-zero neutrino mass lower-bound?

If the neutrino mass lower-bound is non-zero, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would mean that neutrinos have mass, which would challenge the Standard Model of particle physics and could help explain phenomena such as dark matter and matter-antimatter asymmetry. It could also have implications for cosmology and the evolution of the early universe.

5. Is there a maximum possible mass for neutrinos?

Currently, there is no known maximum mass for neutrinos. However, recent studies have placed an upper limit on the mass of the heaviest type of neutrino, the tau neutrino, at around 18.2 MeV (mega-electronic volts). This limit is based on the stability of the universe and the existence of certain types of nuclear reactions. However, further research and data are needed to confirm this upper limit.