Light years-distance or light travel time?

In summary, when using light-years to describe large reception distances, such as 10 billion, you are not only stating the distance but also the light travel time of 10 billion years. The expansion of space does not affect the definition of a light-year, but it can impact the distance between the observer and the light ray over a period of 10 billion years. Parasecs can be used as a distance modulus at these lengths, but it does not describe light travel time. Therefore, when using light-years, you are stating both the distance and light travel time.
Chip Orr
If I use light years to describe large reception distances,say 10 billion,am I also stateing the light travel time? The way I figure it at these distances you would have to increase the light travel time useing the Hubble constant to quantify the increase in space a photon would have to travel. Kind of like swiming against a current to reach a destination.Parasecs are what I should state as a distance modulus at these lengths,but that doesn't describe light travel time. So,when useing LYs are you stateing distance & light travel time or just distance? This has been bugging me for a while now! Please help me out with this one. Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Light year is distance, defined by distance a photon travels in one year. Don't worry about Hubble constant - it doesn't effect the definition.

At 10 billion LYs is the light travel time 10 billion years,or is it longer due to the expansion of space? Thanks ,Chip

Chip Orr said:
At 10 billion LYs is the light travel time 10 billion years,or is it longer due to the expansion of space? Thanks ,Chip
Light always travels 10 billion light-years in 10 billion years. However, when you send a light ray and wait 10 billion years, it will be located farther away than 10 billion light-years from you on a surface of simultaneity (of constant time) in the universe, because the space between you and the light ray has expanded during the 10 billion years of travel.

The distance between you and the light ray can be expressed according to both definitions. The proper distance, for the distance on a surface of constant time (which is by the way the one that enters the Hubble law) and the light travel distance, for the distance traveled by light. You just have to make clear which one is being used. And, of course, you can express both in light-years or in parsec.

Last edited:

1. What is a light year?

A light year is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to measure extremely large distances. It is the distance that light can travel in one year, which is about 9.5 trillion kilometers or 5.9 trillion miles.

2. How is a light year different from a regular year?

A regular year is based on the Earth's orbit around the sun, while a light year is a measure of distance. It is the distance that light travels in one Earth year, not the time it takes for the Earth to complete one orbit.

3. Why do we use light years to measure distance in space?

Light years are used in space because the distances between objects are so vast that using regular units of measurement, such as kilometers or miles, would be too large and impractical. Light years provide a more convenient and accurate way to measure these distances.

4. Can we travel through space at the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light. The closer an object gets to the speed of light, the more energy it would require, making it impossible to reach that speed.

5. How long would it take to travel one light year?

Since the speed of light is the fastest speed possible, it would take light one year to travel one light year. For humans, it would take much longer, as our current technology is not capable of reaching anywhere near the speed of light.