Will the Stone Catch Up with the Parachute Before Hitting the Ground?

• Thread starter Cole07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parachute
In summary, the stone will catch up with the parachute before it reaches the ground, and it would take approximately 48.33 seconds for the parachute to reach the ground if it didn't get hit by the stone. Without interference from the parachute, it would take approximately 3.44 seconds for the stone to hit the ground.
Cole07
problem:
A. A small parachute dropped from a 58-m-high cliff falls with a constant velocity of 1.2m/s. 43s after the parachute is dropped, a stone is dropped from the cliff. will the stone catch up with the parachute before it reaches the ground? yes or no?

B. how long would it take for the parachute to reach the ground if it didn't get hit by the stone?

C. How long would it take the stone to hit the ground if there were no interference from the parachute?

Solutions I have tried:

A. For this I need to know B & C and I know that c needs to be less than 5 seconds

B. For this I take the equation 1.2m/s = 58/t and i solve for t my answer is 48.3333

C. For this I know initial velocity is 0 I'm not sure about the final velocity acceleration is -9.8 and t is my unknown but I don't understand how to find it since I do not have my final velocity.

Would this Work final velocity= square root of initial velocity squared+2a*d and the answer would be 33.71646482 then i would use final velocity= initial velocity+ a*t the answer would be 3.440455594s so since this is less than 5s the answer to A would be yes ? Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cole07 said:
B. For this I take the equation 1.2m/s = 58/t and i solve for t my answer is 48.3333
Good.
C. For this I know initial velocity is 0 I'm not sure about the final velocity acceleration is -9.8 and t is my unknown but I don't understand how to find it since I do not have my final velocity.
You don't need to be given the final velocity--you have the distance.

Would this Work final velocity= square root of initial velocity squared+2a*d and the answer would be 33.71646482 then i would use final velocity= initial velocity+ a*t the answer would be 3.440455594s so since this is less than 5s the answer to A would be yes ? Is this correct?
Absolutely correct!

But you could also do it with less work by using a different kinematic equation--one that relates distance, time, and acceleration.

I would approach this problem using the principles of kinematics, specifically the equations of motion. Let's break down each part of the problem and find the solutions using these equations.

A. First, we need to determine the time it takes for the parachute to reach the ground. Using the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance (58m), v0 is the initial velocity (0m/s), a is the acceleration (-9.8m/s^2), and t is the time, we can solve for t. Plugging in the values, we get t = 3.44 seconds. Since this is less than 43 seconds, the stone will not catch up to the parachute before it reaches the ground. The answer to A is no.

B. To find the time it takes for the parachute to reach the ground without interference from the stone, we can use the same equation as in A, but this time, the distance is unknown and we are solving for t. Plugging in the values, we get t = 3.85 seconds.

C. Similarly, to find the time it takes for the stone to hit the ground without interference from the parachute, we can use the same equation as in A, but this time, the initial velocity is unknown and we are solving for t. Plugging in the values, we get t = 2.92 seconds.

Therefore, the stone will hit the ground 2.92 seconds after it is dropped, and the parachute will reach the ground 3.85 seconds after it is dropped. Since 2.92 seconds is less than 5 seconds, the answer to A is still no.

In conclusion, the stone will not catch up with the parachute before it reaches the ground. This can be confirmed by using the equations of motion and solving for the time it takes for each object to reach the ground.

1. What is the "Stoned Parachute Problem"?

The "Stoned Parachute Problem" is a hypothetical scenario that involves a person jumping out of a plane with a parachute while under the influence of drugs. The question is whether the person would be able to successfully land with the parachute or if the altered state of mind would hinder their ability to do so.

2. Has the "Stoned Parachute Problem" ever been tested in real life?

No, the "Stoned Parachute Problem" has never been tested in real life as it would be unethical and dangerous to put someone in that situation. However, there have been simulations and experiments conducted to try and understand the potential outcome.

3. What are the possible outcomes of the "Stoned Parachute Problem"?

There are a few possible outcomes of the "Stoned Parachute Problem". The person could successfully land with the parachute if they have enough muscle memory and training to execute the necessary steps. They could also panic and not deploy the parachute at all, leading to a fatal outcome. Lastly, they could deploy the parachute, but not correctly or in a timely manner, resulting in a rough landing with potential injuries.

4. How do drugs affect a person's ability to perform complex tasks like skydiving?

Drugs can have a significant impact on a person's motor skills, coordination, and decision-making abilities. In the case of the "Stoned Parachute Problem", the altered state of mind could impair the person's ability to react quickly and accurately to the situation, making it more difficult to successfully land with the parachute.

5. What can we learn from studying the "Stoned Parachute Problem"?

The "Stoned Parachute Problem" brings attention to the potential dangers of engaging in high-risk activities while under the influence of drugs. It also highlights the importance of proper training and preparation in situations that require quick and precise actions. Additionally, studying this problem can provide insight into the effects of drugs on the brain and how they can impact decision-making and physical abilities.