Who is the smartest person alive today?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary: I think Prudens' quote sums it up best:"There is mountains beyond mountains, and skies beyond skies."
Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Darkiekurdo said:
Why?

Two of the primary definitions of 'smart' is knowledgeable, and mentally alert. Kim Peek has to be one of the most mentally alert people I have ever seen, and is a sponge for facts and knowledge. As the video I posted conveys, most people who are labeled as geniuses are usually extremely gifted in one, two, or maybe even three different areas. Kim peek exceeds exceptional in all areas at a dear cost... a sacrifice in conceptualizing and social skills.

B. Elliott said:
Two of the primary definitions of 'smart' is knowledgeable, and mentally alert. Kim Peek has to be one of the most mentally alert people I have ever seen, and is a sponge for facts and knowledge. As the video I posted conveys, most people who are labeled as geniuses are usually extremely gifted in one, two, or maybe even three different areas. Kim peek exceeds exceptional in all areas at a dear cost... a sacrifice in conceptualizing and social skills.
Could be, but is he creative?

Darkiekurdo said:
Could be, but is he creative?

Staying within the definition of the OPs original question, creativity is not an an aspect of 'smart'. If the question was who is the most creative, Kim Peek would not be a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
B. Elliott said:
Staying within the definition of the OPs original question, creativity is not an an aspect of 'smart'. If the question was who is the most creative, Kim Peek would not be a choice.

Why not? I don't think someone who is only able to absorb knowledge and not apply it is very smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darkiekurdo said:
Why not? I don't think someone who is only able to absorb knowledge and not apply it is very smart.

And that's what you think.

B. Elliott said:
And that's what you think.
Of course, do you think your definition of 'smart' is universal?

Darkiekurdo said:
Of course, do you think your definition of 'smart' is universal?

Not really. Most of the people I personally know that would be considered exceptionally intelligent, are very universal. To me, the word smart is a very defined word. Implying that one who is smart is exceptionally knowledgeable. One who is smart, it not necessarily intelligent.

Last edited:
Actually, i'll take that word knowledgeable back. It implies cognitive abilities that what I consider smart, don't posses. Peek being an example.

Playing the definition card is useless. Most people get obscenely irritated when people ask them to define terms but it is only natural if a conversation is to remain coherent that everyone knows exactly what they're talking about. So much time is wasted over minutiae if terms are not defined. B. Elliot made his point and that's that. This thread is ancient so I doubt we'll get to see what the OP actually meant by smart.

I used to work with an engineer that was very intelligent, but he wasn't too smart. He could think things through to arrive at "logically" workable solutions, but he lacked the ability to parse those into practical applications. He cost my company many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I believe the OP died of cancer.

Kurdt said:
Playing the definition card is useless. Most people get obscenely irritated when people ask them to define terms but it is only natural if a conversation is to remain coherent that everyone knows exactly what they're talking about. So much time is wasted over minutiae if terms are not defined. B. Elliot made his point and that's that. This thread is ancient so I doubt we'll get to see what the OP actually meant by smart.

Thankyou Kurdt. This thread definitely taught me that there are many interpretations of the words smart and intelligence. I also now fully sympathize with my father for what he went through during my toddler years.:smile:

FZ+ said:
Bill Gates, perhaps, because he is smart enough to realize you can make money out of this "microcomputer" thing.

You, I, and everyone else realizes that as well.

He is certainly the most successful in terms of getting rich, which is how success is normally measured in the modern, capitalist world.

The question is who is the smartest person alive today, not who is the richest person alive today.

timejim said:
HMMMMMMM, I would consider Stephen Hawking.

He's just dumb and never produced anything useful.

To answer your question : any guy that was able to build up a lucrative business/activity starting from very limited means.

marlon

<h2>1. Who is considered the smartest person alive today?</h2><p>The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on different criteria. Some people may consider a person's IQ score as a measure of intelligence, while others may look at their accomplishments or contributions to society. It is difficult to determine a single person as the smartest, as intelligence can be measured in many different ways.</p><h2>2. Is there a way to measure someone's intelligence?</h2><p>There are various tests and assessments that can be used to measure intelligence, such as IQ tests, cognitive ability tests, and academic achievement tests. However, these tests may not be able to capture all aspects of intelligence and should not be the sole measure of someone's intelligence.</p><h2>3. Can a person's intelligence change over time?</h2><p>Yes, a person's intelligence can change over time. While some aspects of intelligence, such as fluid intelligence (the ability to think logically and solve novel problems), tend to decline with age, other aspects, such as crystallized intelligence (knowledge and skills acquired through experience), may continue to improve.</p><h2>4. Are there any common traits or characteristics among highly intelligent individuals?</h2><p>There is no definitive answer to this question, as intelligence can manifest in different ways and can be influenced by various factors. However, some common traits that have been associated with highly intelligent individuals include curiosity, creativity, critical thinking skills, and a strong desire to learn and acquire new knowledge.</p><h2>5. Can intelligence be inherited?</h2><p>There is evidence to suggest that genetics can play a role in intelligence, as studies have shown that intelligence tends to run in families. However, environmental factors, such as education and upbringing, also play a significant role in a person's intelligence. It is considered to be a combination of both nature and nurture.</p>

1. Who is considered the smartest person alive today?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on different criteria. Some people may consider a person's IQ score as a measure of intelligence, while others may look at their accomplishments or contributions to society. It is difficult to determine a single person as the smartest, as intelligence can be measured in many different ways.

2. Is there a way to measure someone's intelligence?

There are various tests and assessments that can be used to measure intelligence, such as IQ tests, cognitive ability tests, and academic achievement tests. However, these tests may not be able to capture all aspects of intelligence and should not be the sole measure of someone's intelligence.

3. Can a person's intelligence change over time?

Yes, a person's intelligence can change over time. While some aspects of intelligence, such as fluid intelligence (the ability to think logically and solve novel problems), tend to decline with age, other aspects, such as crystallized intelligence (knowledge and skills acquired through experience), may continue to improve.

4. Are there any common traits or characteristics among highly intelligent individuals?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as intelligence can manifest in different ways and can be influenced by various factors. However, some common traits that have been associated with highly intelligent individuals include curiosity, creativity, critical thinking skills, and a strong desire to learn and acquire new knowledge.

5. Can intelligence be inherited?

There is evidence to suggest that genetics can play a role in intelligence, as studies have shown that intelligence tends to run in families. However, environmental factors, such as education and upbringing, also play a significant role in a person's intelligence. It is considered to be a combination of both nature and nurture.