How Does Temperature Affect the Density of Helium Gas?

In summary: I have a question on how did you get R to equal to 8.314?I thought R would be .0831 or am i looking at a different R value?
BunDa4Th

Homework Statement

The density of helium gas at T = 0°C and atmospheric pressure is 0 = 0.179 kg/m3. The temperature is then raised to T = 105°C, but the pressure is kept constant. Assuming that helium is an ideal gas, calculate the new density f of the gas. kg/m3

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
m/v = weight in grams?

The Attempt at a Solution

T1 = 0*C T2 = 105*C
Po = .179 Pf = ?
Pa1 = 1 atm? Pa2 = 10 atm?

I think that is how I am suppose to set it up but from there I am at a complete lost on what to do. But i am not even sure where to start on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
BunDa4Th said:

Homework Statement

The density of helium gas at T = 0°C and atmospheric pressure is 0 = 0.179 kg/m3. The temperature is then raised to T = 105°C, but the pressure is kept constant. Assuming that helium is an ideal gas, calculate the new density f of the gas. kg/m3

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
m/v = weight in grams?

The Attempt at a Solution

T1 = 0*C T2 = 105*C
Po = .179 Pf = ?
Pa1 = 1 atm? Pa2 = 10 atm?

I think that is how I am suppose to set it up but from there I am at a complete lost on what to do. But i am not even sure where to start on this problem.
The key here is to find the volume change per unit mass.

They give you the density of He at STP. But let's calculate it. Assume you have one mole of gas. Calculate the volume of one mole at 273K (0 C) and 1 atm (101325 Pa) using the Ideal gas law:

[tex]V = nRT/P = 1*8.314*273/101325 = .0224 m^3 = 22.4 L[/tex]

Since one mole of He has mass of 4g, the density is .004/.0224 = .179 kg/m^3.

Do the same for He at a pressure of 378K (105C) and 10 atm. That is all the question is asking.

AM

I have a question on how did you get R to equal to 8.314?

I thought R would be .0831 or am i looking at a different R value?

BunDa4Th said:
I have a question on how did you get R to equal to 8.314?

I thought R would be .0831 or am i looking at a different R value?
In MKS:

[tex]R = N_A k_B = 8.31451 m^2kg/s^2 K mol[/tex]

The .0831 must be in units of [itex]m^2kg/s^2 K mol \times 10^3[/itex] or kilomoles

AM

Last edited:

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its transfer, as well as the relationship between heat and other forms of energy.

2. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from one substance to another due to a difference in temperature.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the volume of a gas?

According to Charles' Law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, as long as the pressure remains constant. This means that as temperature increases, the volume of a gas will also increase, and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept that follows the ideal gas law and has no intermolecular forces between particles. A real gas, on the other hand, experiences some degree of intermolecular forces and may deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures or low temperatures.