Leaving Telescope Out: Pros & Cons

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Bob3141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the author is considering leaving their telescope outside all the time due to the proximity to Chicago, but is concerned about moisture damage to the telescope. There are other alternatives people have used, like a smaller scope or keeping the telescope in its case.
Bob3141592
I have a C8 on a tripod that I don't use as much as I'd like. One thing is my proximity to Chicago (45 miles NW of the city - not quite far enough away). Also, as my yard is set up, it's a real pain to take it in and out of the house. I'm not ready to build a shed observatory around it, so I was wondering if it would be bad for the scope to leave it out all the time. Even just leaving the tripod out would be better, but the best would be to keep the whole setup out all the time. I saw a protective cover for about $150 that claims to do just what I want ( http://www.optcorp.com/productList.aspx?uid=&pg=0&kw=cover&st=2 ). Does anyone here have any experience with such a thing? I'd hate to put my scope at risk of damage from condensation or anything else. Will this really do what I want? Are there any other alternatives people have used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've never used such a product, but I'm pretty skeptical, honestly. I agree that moisture/condensation would be your biggest enemy. A decent cap on the exit aperture pretty much makes the inside of the instrument air-tight, but I've never seen a lens cap for the corrector plate that's really air-tight. The one that came with my C-11 is actually so loose that remarkably large spiders can get inside it! So obviously water vapor is going to condense inside there, and you're going to get dew and perhaps frost on your corrector plate nearly every night. I have no idea how frost affects the lens coatings, but I have to assume it can't be good. Maybe a few packets of the "DO NOT EAT" dessicant would help things a bit, but Chicago's a really wet place in the winter!

- Warren

I'll leave mine out for a few days at a time, but won't leave it in the rain or if the weather is going to be drippy humid.

For me, i have a small telescope similar to the one on this http://shopping.discovery.com/product-59071.html" hoping that it is the telescope you are talking about. I can see what your saying, yours weighs 67lbs. I could see how that would limit you from going outside all the time. I used to keep my telescope in its case all the time because it would take less space but i used to get lazy of taking it out puting it together and when i was done then take it apart and bla bla bla... and my telescope only weighs around 10lbs ! Personally now i keep my telescope out of the case and already set up and i store it in my room so its easier. I don't know about the bag or about leaving your telescope outside but if i were you personally, i would just keep your telescope already setup near the door so whenever you want you can just grab it and go outside without setting up.

another option you could try is to get a smaller lighter telescope. I would recommend that you get one without weights that balance it since obviously it add more weight and takes more time to set up. Think of it this way you think you have it bad with your telescope now? Think how long it would take to get one of http://www.meade.com/maxmount/index.html" suckers out and to your yard:rofl: !

Hope what i said helps in some way

Leaving your instrument outside will degrade all the components. The mounto will not suffer, but, the optical elements will suffer if left exposed to the elements.

hover said:
another option you could try is to get a smaller lighter telescope. I would recommend that you get one without weights that balance it since obviously it add more weight and takes more time to set up. Think of it this way you think you have it bad with your telescope now? Think how long it would take to get one of http://www.meade.com/maxmount/index.html" suckers out and to your yard:rofl: !

Life should be so tough, eh?

The idea of a smaller scope might be an option. First I'll try leaving the tripod out and just moving the optical tube in and out. That wopn't be ideal but it will be a help.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I was hesitant but hopeful about the claims associated with the cover. Perhaps a more structural approach like a shed with a roll off roof would be a better solution in the future. But since a shed (or even a fancy observatory with a dome) isn't airtight, why isn't moisture a problem with those arrangements?

What are the potential benefits of leaving a telescope out?

Leaving a telescope out can provide longer observing times, as there is no need to set up and take down the equipment. It also allows for quicker access to the telescope for spontaneous observations.

What are the potential drawbacks of leaving a telescope out?

Leaving a telescope out exposes it to potential damage from weather, animals, and vandalism. It also requires a secure location to prevent theft.

How does leaving a telescope out affect its performance?

Leaving a telescope out can lead to a build-up of dust and debris on the optics, which can decrease its performance. It may also experience wear and tear from being constantly exposed to the elements.

What precautions should be taken when leaving a telescope out?

It is important to properly secure the telescope in a stable and secure location. Covering it with a protective tarp or dome can also help protect it from the elements. Regular maintenance and cleaning should also be performed to ensure optimal performance.

Are there any specific types of telescopes that are better suited for being left out?

Telescopes with sealed optics, such as Schmidt-Cassegrains or Maksutov-Cassegrains, may be better suited for being left out due to their ability to resist dust and debris. Reflector and refractor telescopes may require more frequent cleaning if left out for extended periods of time.