For the love of God somebody save me

• Thread starter shwanky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the squeeze theorem states that if f(X) <= h(X) <= h(x) when x is near a (except possibly at a) and lim x->a f(X) = lim x->A h(X) = L, thenlim x->a g(X) = L.
shwanky
Ok, so it's my first semester of Calculus and I'm completely lost. My professor is this old Korean guy who doesn't speak English and I'm in desperate need of some understanding.

1. |X| = {x if x >= 0 and -x if x <0
lim x->a |X| Does not exists.

My first question is can the limit of an absolute value function ever exists? I understand the mechanics, just not the concept :(.

2. The Squeeze Theorem
If f(X) <= h(X) <= h(x) when x is near a (except possibly at a) and

lim x->a f(X) = lim x->A h(X) = L

then

lim x->a g(X) = L

Question: Prove that lim x->0+ suareroot(X)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] = 0.

Sorry for my semi-broken representation. It's a mixture of C++ sytanx and algebra... I don't think it works so well but I hope it can be understood. Anyway, I don't even know where to begin setting up the proof...

Anyone have an tips that might help? I'm going to search the net and try and find something that can help.

Shwank

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should probably post a question like this in the homework section, since it will get more responses there, and also that is where homework is supposed to be posted (since I am guessing it is homework, or at least feels like it).

For question 1 I am not sure what you are trying to do.

|x| is continuous and thus the [itex]\lim_{x\to a}|x| = |a|[/itex]. So I guess to answer your question, yes the limit of the absolute value function can exist, and it exist for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

For the second question you want to find a function that is below suareroot(X)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] and one that is above. Of course you want each of these functions such that the limit as x->0+ is 0. So try to think of some functions (ones that you can easily compute the lim as x-> 0 for) and verify that the lower function is below suareroot(X)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] and that the upper function is above it.

Could you take the lower function as the zero function? That is, is 0 <= suareroot(X)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] for all x? And does the lim x>0+ of 0 = 0? Now try to find a function that is above, and show that it is above for all x, and that the limit x->0+ of that function is 0.

Last edited:
shwanky said:
My first question is can the limit of an absolute value function ever exists? I understand the mechanics, just not the concept :(.
Think of these few examples:

Does the limit of |x^2| as x approaches 0 exist?
Does the limit of |x| as x approaches 1 exist?

Let f(x) = sin(x) if x>0, -sin(x) if x<0, and 0 if sin(x) = 0

Does the limit of |f(x)| as x approaches 0 exist?

shwanky said:
Question: Prove that lim x->0+ suareroot(X)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] = 0.
Can you think of a function g(x), where g(x) is greater than x^(1/2)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] for all x and as x approaches 0 from the right g(x) tends towards 0?

Can you think of a function h(x), where h(x) is less than x^(1/2)[1 + sin^2(2PI/X)] for all x and as x approaches 0 from the right h(x) tends towards 0?

**hint** what is the maximal and minimal value of sin^2(2PI/X)

Thank you both for the help. :)... With your hints, and help from tutors at school I was able to understand.

1. What does "For the love of God somebody save me" mean?

The phrase "For the love of God somebody save me" is an expression of desperation or urgency, often used in moments of extreme distress or danger. It is a plea for help or rescue from a dire situation.

2. Is "For the love of God somebody save me" a scientific concept?

No, "For the love of God somebody save me" is not a scientific concept. It is a common phrase used in everyday language to express a strong need for assistance.

3. How can someone be saved in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, being saved typically refers to being rescued from a dangerous or life-threatening situation. This can be achieved through various methods such as emergency medical treatment, evacuation, or protective measures.

4. Are there any scientific studies related to "For the love of God somebody save me"?

There are not any specific scientific studies related to the phrase "For the love of God somebody save me." However, there is research on the psychological effects of stress and distress, which may be relevant to understanding the use of this expression in certain situations.

5. How can I help someone who says "For the love of God somebody save me"?

If someone says "For the love of God somebody save me," it is important to take their distress seriously and offer support and assistance. This could include calling for emergency services, providing comfort and reassurance, or helping to remove them from the dangerous situation.