Physics - Moments of Inertia, Angular Momentums etc HELP

There are two ways to solve this problem.In summary, the problem involves a spinning disk and a non-rotating sphere being dropped onto it. The final velocity of the disk-sphere combination needs to be found. The equations for inertia of a solid cylinder and solid sphere are given and conservation of angular momentum is used to solve the problem. Two possible methods of solving the problem are mentioned.
thebigbang

Homework Statement

A large disk of mass M and radius R is spinning like a CD of merry-go-round - that is, about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the disk. It is rotating at an angular velocity (omega initial). At some instant, a sphere of mass M/4 , which is initially not rotating, is dropped onto the disk at a distance of 3R/ 4 from the center. The sphere sticks to the disk and begins rotating with it. Find the final velocity of the disk-sphere combination.

Homework Equations

solid cylinder = I = 1/2 mr squared

solid sphere - I = 2/5 mr squared

(not sure if these are the correct inertia formulas)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea...i don't even know how to start the problem...should i find inertia of disk first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Total angular momentum I*angular velocity is conserved. You should treat the sphere as a point mass. You aren't given its radius - so you can't truly treat it as a sphere.

1. What is a moment of inertia?

A moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that reflects its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia or angular mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics as it helps in understanding the rotational behavior of objects. It is used in various equations and laws, such as Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotation?

The moment of inertia of an object affects its rotation by determining how easy or difficult it is to change its rotational motion. Objects with larger moments of inertia will require more force to rotate, while objects with smaller moments of inertia will require less force.

5. Can moment of inertia be altered?

Yes, moment of inertia can be altered by changing the shape or mass distribution of an object. For example, spreading out the mass of an object will increase its moment of inertia and make it more resistant to changes in rotation.