What electric guitar/amp would you buy?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, my daughter wants to learn to play guitar, but the neck on her old classical guitar is too wide for her small hand. She has taken a couple of lessons with my old classical guitar, but she says the neck on the electric guitar feels better. She has a nicer touch than I do, so she wants an electric guitar. She also wants an electric acoustic, but I think an acoustic would be fine for a beginner. I would rather buy a cheap setup now and if she outgrows it, then get a good one.
Jimmy Snyder
My daughter wants to learn to play guitar. She has taken a couple of lessons using my old classical guitar, but she says the neck is too wide for her small hand and anyway she wants an electric. She has a nicer touch than I do, so OK say I. I would rather buy a cheap setup now and if she outgrows it, then get a good one. So what should I look for now?

Sam Ash has this guitar on sale.

Sam Ash ad said:
Dean EVO XM Electric Guitar (Mahogany Finish)

The EVO is a perfect blend of vintage design, old world craftsmanship and decades of guitar building technology.

We all knew about the other stuff, but the decades of guitar building is surprising. The legal system may become overwhelmed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know there are a lot of those cheap squier and amp buys. Depends what you are willing to spend.

There is a company called Tradition that makes low-cost copies of Fenders - I highly recommend them. They are better than Fender's own overseas "copies" of their own stuff.

From what I've heard, Turbo is quite right. They are extrememly cheap guitars that sound pretty good for that price range.

But I mean it depends what you mean by buying a cheap guitar. I would say that $200 - $300 would be a cheap guitar. So I mean even in that price range you can get some nice Washburn electric acoustics.

If the only problem she has with your guitar is that the neck is too wide then an acoustic will be fine since it has a neck that is similar in width to the electric guitar. And if she really wants an electric I'm sure she'd be happy with an electric acoustic. My friend has a Washburn PS11E model (Paul Stanley electric acoustic model) and it is a really nice low-cost guitar. It has a small frame which would also be good for a child.

Due to my ****ty experience with the low-end Peaveys I won't be recommending them. But I've never had a bad experience with Roland. I think they make some of the best low-end or medium range guitar amps. That's not to say that they aren't competitive with their high range amps, but I haven't had much experience with those amps from Roland. A Roland cube 15x is reasonable in price and sound and I would think that it is a good place to start.

Well this is just from my experiences. I'm sure some people might not agree with my opinions because it always comes done to the individual, but I've always really enjoyed the sound quality on Roland amps.

However, I'd say that the best advice would be to give your daughter an acceptable price range and then take her to guitar shops so that she can test out low cost guitars. Also check the seconhand section of the newspaper (if you have one) and take her along to test out the guitars to see if it suits her. You can get some AWESOME deals from seconhand private sales.

I agree with turbo as well as far as electrics go, but to reiterate what big man said, I think you should give her a range and let her shop. If she's serious about learning guitar, she should do some research and learn how to shop for one. She'll learn a lot about guitar that way too.

Aside from that though, I'm partial to acoustics. You can get a very decent acoustic guitar for quite cheap, and you don't need to worry about all the electronics. Plus, she'll develop strength in her fingers much faster. Classical guitars have a wider neck than steel strings, and you can get pretty soft strings if she's worried about that. I don't know how old your daughter is, but unless she's under 12 her hands probably aren't too small to play an acoustic.

Mostly though, I think she should do her own shopping. If she wants an electric, she must have reasons for it, and she should look into them further to figure out what she really wants.

Give her a budget and let her choose herself.

We went to a place called Guitar Center, and then to Sam Ash. Both recommended packages and I can see why. They cost more and require no effort to sell. However, I put together a much cheaper deal piece by piece. The system seems adequate for a rank beginner. The guitar is a Squier 51 at $100. The amp is a Hartke G10 at $50. With a contract for two years of setups, a gig bag, cable, and strap the bottom line was $206. If she outgrows this system, then I will get her a real one and this toy will be mine.

What electric guitar/amp would you buy?

As a scientist, I am not an expert on electric guitars and amps. However, here are five frequently asked questions and their answers based on research and personal experience:

1. What is the best brand of electric guitar/amp?

The "best" brand is subjective and depends on personal preference and budget. Some popular brands include Fender, Gibson, and PRS for guitars, and Marshall, Fender, and Vox for amps. It is recommended to try out different brands and models to find the one that suits your needs and style.

2. What type of electric guitar/amp is best for a beginner?

For beginners, it is recommended to start with a budget-friendly option. A solid-state amp and a basic model of electric guitar would be sufficient for learning and practicing. As skills improve, one can upgrade to a higher-quality instrument.

3. What are the essential features to consider when buying an electric guitar/amp?

Some important features to consider are the type and size of the guitar/amp (solid-body vs hollow-body, combo vs stack), the number of strings, the pick-ups (single-coil vs humbucker), the tonewood, and additional features such as built-in effects and controls.

4. Should I buy an electric guitar/amp online or in-store?

It is recommended to try out the instrument in person before making a purchase. This allows you to feel the weight, comfort, and sound of the guitar/amp. However, online shopping can offer a wider selection and sometimes better deals. It is best to do some research and read reviews before buying online.

5. How much should I spend on an electric guitar/amp?

The price range for electric guitars and amps can vary greatly, from a few hundred dollars to thousands. It is important to set a budget based on your needs and skill level. A good quality beginner guitar/amp can cost around $300-$500, while a professional-grade guitar/amp can go up to $1000 or more.