Maximizing Your Physics Forums Experience: RSS Feeds and LaTeX Images Explained

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Ks. Jan Jenkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images Latex
In summary, the conversation is about the usefulness of the Physics Forums website and its RSS feeds. The person speaking compliments the moderators and offers a suggestion for improving the RSS feeds. Another person agrees and suggests that the images may be disabled to prevent bandwidth stealing.
Ks. Jan Jenkins
I don't know if this is the forum to write this, but I would just like to give firstly some encouragement to the moderators of Physics Forums : you are doing a great job! This is a remarkable resource.

I have subscribed to several of the RSS feeds for the forums, which I find very handy especially with Google Reader.

However, just one complaint: when I look at the RSS feeds, the LaTeX generated graphics don't appear. It seems that the server actually doesn't generate them or that they are somehow blocked when accessing them from Google Reader. Is there anything that I can configure on my computer to enable these graphics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah. I've experienced the same thing. Perhaps the admins. have set it that way to lessen the load on the PF servers.

They're inline images, and should work like any inline images from any other source.

- Warren

We have disabled "hot-linking" of images to prevent bandwidth stealing. That might be what is causing your problems. Once you see a topic of interest just hop over here to the real deal :)

1. What are RSS feeds and how can they enhance my Physics Forums experience?

RSS feeds are a way to receive updated content from websites and blogs without having to constantly visit the site. By subscribing to the Physics Forums RSS feed, you can stay up-to-date with new posts and threads, making it easier to follow discussions and participate in them.

2. How do I add the Physics Forums RSS feed to my preferred RSS reader?

To add the Physics Forums RSS feed to your preferred RSS reader, first find the RSS icon on the Physics Forums homepage. Then, copy the URL and paste it into your RSS reader's "add feed" or "subscribe" option. The exact steps may vary depending on your RSS reader.

3. What is LaTeX and how can I use it to insert images in my posts?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific and technical writing. It allows for the creation of complex mathematical equations and symbols. In Physics Forums, you can use LaTeX to insert images of equations and symbols in your posts by using the [tex] [/tex] tags.

4. Can I use LaTeX to insert images from external sources in my posts?

Yes, you can use LaTeX to insert images from external sources in your posts. Simply use the [img] [/img] tags and include the URL of the image within the tags. Make sure to follow the image size restrictions set by Physics Forums to ensure proper formatting.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn how to use LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you learn how to use LaTeX. Physics Forums has a LaTeX Help Forum where you can ask for assistance and find tutorials and guides. There are also many external websites and forums dedicated to teaching LaTeX, such as Overleaf, TeX Stack Exchange, and LaTeX Community.