Transmitting a Byte Over Infrared to RS 232

• Thread starter N468989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infrared
In summary, infrared technology uses light waves in the infrared spectrum to transmit data, such as a byte over RS 232. It offers the advantage of wireless communication and high data transfer rate. Multiple bytes can be transmitted simultaneously using different frequencies or channels. However, there are limitations such as the need for direct line of sight and limited range. While generally secure, additional measures may be needed to further secure the data being transmitted.
N468989
does anyone know how what type of circuit i need to transmit a signal over InfraRed. the signal i want to transmit is for example one byte -> 1010 1010

the byte sent will be sent to a RS 232 port

i have a shift register with the data ready to be sent

i know that i need a IR photodiode and a phototransistor

:. sorry double posting

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Before anyone gives Tko grief about double-posting, it was my suggestion that (s)he resubmit this here after I ran across it in General Physics. This seems to be a more appropriate location.

To transmit a byte over infrared to an RS 232 port, you will need a circuit that can convert the digital signal from the shift register into an infrared signal. This can be achieved using an IR LED (infrared light-emitting diode) and a phototransistor.

The IR LED will emit an infrared light signal, which will be received by the phototransistor. The phototransistor will then convert the light signal back into a digital signal, which can be sent to the RS 232 port.

To ensure that the byte is transmitted accurately, you may also need to incorporate a modulation technique, such as pulse-width modulation (PWM), into your circuit. This will help to encode the data into the infrared signal and ensure that it is received correctly by the phototransistor.

Overall, the circuit you will need for transmitting a byte over infrared to an RS 232 port will consist of an IR LED, a phototransistor, and potentially a modulation technique. It is important to carefully design and test your circuit to ensure reliable transmission of the data.

1. How does infrared technology work for transmitting a byte over RS 232?

Infrared technology uses light waves in the infrared spectrum to transmit data. A byte is sent as a series of light pulses that are received by a sensor and then converted into electrical signals for transmission over the RS 232 protocol.

2. What is the advantage of using infrared for transmitting a byte over RS 232?

Infrared technology allows for wireless communication, eliminating the need for physical connections between devices. It also has a higher data transfer rate compared to other wireless technologies, making it ideal for transmitting a byte of data quickly and efficiently.

3. Can multiple bytes be transmitted simultaneously using infrared to RS 232?

Yes, multiple bytes can be transmitted simultaneously using infrared technology. This is achieved by using different frequencies or channels for each byte, allowing for multiple streams of data to be transmitted at the same time.

4. Are there any limitations to using infrared for transmitting a byte over RS 232?

One limitation of using infrared technology is that it requires a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. Any obstruction or interference can disrupt the transmission. It also has a limited range, typically up to 10 meters.

5. How secure is transmitting a byte over infrared to RS 232?

Infrared technology is generally considered to be secure as the light waves used for transmission are not easily intercepted. However, it is still possible for someone to intercept the signal if they are within the range of the transmission. Additional security measures, such as encryption, can be implemented to further secure the data being transmitted.