Recomend a good chemistry text

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is looking for a readable general chemistry textbook, with a focus on acid base chemistry and electrode functioning. Some recommendations include Mortimer, Petrucci, and Skoog & West. Additionally, the book "Chemistry in Context" by Hill and Holman is mentioned as a clear and informative option, especially for those interested in connecting inorganic chemistry to biological systems. The availability of the book in local libraries and college libraries is also discussed.
Spirochete
I prematurely sold my general chemistry textbook, now I need a new one. I'm especially interested in acid base chemistry and something that will help me understand how electrodes work.

Can anyone recommend a readable general chem textbook? My last book was "General Chemistry: The Essential Concepts" by Chang and I found it difficult to read. At the same time I don't want something too dumbed down either.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Something by Mortimer; also something by Petrucci;

Also, check almost any analytical chemistry book, although you might want to check the contents including the actual chapter pages to see if it has the topics you want, sufficiently covered; my guess is that electrochemistry would be well covered in such a book. Maybe a Skoog & West book if you find a used one?

If you don't mind a high/senior school level textbook, I find 'Chemistry in Context' by Hill and Holman a great text to read. The concepts are explained clearly, and it CAN go into some advanced chemistry.

I thought Chang was OK, although it is not 'brilliant' or 'marvelous'.

I forgot to say I also wouldn't mind a book with lots of examples relating inorganic chemistry to biological systems

Invictious said:
If you don't mind a high/senior school level textbook, I find 'Chemistry in Context' by Hill and Holman a great text to read. The concepts are explained clearly, and it CAN go into some advanced chemistry.

I thought Chang was OK, although it is not 'brilliant' or 'marvelous'.

Yes "Chemistry Context" is very informative, i suggest that you have a look at it.

where could one find chemsitry in context, local libraies, college libaries, ect...? (i'm a high school student, not to many resources available)

1. What are the key topics covered in a good chemistry text?

A good chemistry text should cover the fundamental principles of chemistry, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, and chemical reactions. It should also cover topics such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and equilibria, as well as the major branches of chemistry, such as organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry.

2. How can I find a chemistry text that is suitable for my level of knowledge?

There are many chemistry texts available, so it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your level of knowledge. Look for texts that are labeled as introductory, general, or basic for beginners, and texts labeled as advanced or specialized for those with a more in-depth understanding of chemistry.

3. Are there any chemistry texts that are specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are many chemistry texts that are designed for self-study. These texts often include additional practice problems and self-assessment tools to help you gauge your understanding of the material. Look for texts that are labeled as self-study or self-paced to find these resources.

4. Are there any online chemistry texts available?

Yes, there are many online chemistry texts available. These texts can be accessed for free or may require a subscription. Look for reputable sources, such as university websites or established publishing companies, to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the content.

5. Can you recommend a good chemistry text for preparation for standardized tests?

There are many chemistry texts that are specifically designed for standardized test preparation, such as the SAT Chemistry Subject Test or the AP Chemistry exam. Look for texts that are labeled as test prep or review to find resources that are tailored for these exams.