How Do You Derive Kepler's Third Law Using Newton's Law of Gravitation?

• Thread starter petern
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion can be derived from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation by setting the gravitational force equal to the centripetal force and using the equation v = (2*pi*r)/T. This leads to the equation T^2 = kr^3, where k is a constant value that includes G, m, 4, and pi.
petern
Derive Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

I know the Law of Universal Gravitation is Fg = (Gm1m2)/(r^2) and the Third Law of Planetary Motion is T^2 = kr^3

What should I do next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start from here:
The gravitational force of attraction between two masses provides the centripetal force required to keep the mass in a circular orbit.

so that (Gm1m2)/(r^2)=m1(w^2)r

Which equation does the m1(w^2)r come from?

the centripetal force is given by these equations:
[tex]F_C=m\omega^2r = \frac{mv^2}{r}=mv\omega[/tex]

I just used the first equality

We haven't learned about m(w^2)r yet so I don't think that's what we're suppose to use. What is the w? However, we've learned about (mv^2)/r.

I think I set (Gm1m2)/(r^2) = (mv^2)/(r). I then plug the equation v = (2*pi*r)/T into the one I previously listed. After that, I cancel m1 out and get r1^3 = (Gm2T^2)/(4*pi). After that I don't know how to get rid of the G, m1, 4, and pi so that I'll end up with the equation T^2 = kr^3.

Please help. I don't know what to do.

petern said:
I think I set (Gm1m2)/(r^2) = (mv^2)/(r). I then plug the equation v = (2*pi*r)/T into the one I previously listed. After that, I cancel m1 out and get r1^3 = (Gm2T^2)/(4*pi). After that I don't know how to get rid of the G, m1, 4, and pi so that I'll end up with the equation T^2 = kr^3.

Then you have done it! G, m, 4, and pi are all constants. You don't need to get rid of them. They can be rolled up into one constant value that you are calling "k".

1. How do I derive an equation?

To derive an equation, you will need to use mathematical principles such as calculus, algebra, and geometry. Start by identifying all the variables in the equation and their relationships. Then, use known equations and manipulate them using the rules of mathematics to arrive at the desired equation.

2. What are the steps to deriving an equation?

The steps to deriving an equation may vary depending on the complexity of the equation. However, some general steps include identifying the variables and their relationships, using known equations to manipulate and solve for the unknown variables, and simplifying the equation to its final form.

3. How important is background knowledge in deriving an equation?

Having a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial when it comes to deriving an equation. You must have a good understanding of mathematical principles and concepts to be able to manipulate equations and arrive at the correct solution.

4. Can I derive an equation without using mathematics?

No, deriving an equation requires the use of mathematical principles. While there may be some tools or software that can assist with the derivation process, ultimately, you will need to use mathematical concepts to arrive at the equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation?

Some common mistakes when deriving an equation include forgetting to include all relevant variables, using incorrect mathematical rules or formulas, and not simplifying the equation to its final form. It is also important to double-check your work and ensure that all steps are clear and logical.