Know any good capacitor brands?

• Thread starter chrisalviola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, it is not generally important to get a brand specific capacitor as long as it is an exact fit by specifications. Higher rated capacitors are better, but there is a trade-off to be made in terms of size. If the power supply is just rectified AC stepdown transformer, then any electrolytic will work. If the power supply is a switching power supply, then the ESR rating for the cap (equivalent series resistance) can be an issue.
chrisalviola
in my power supply its the first semiconductor that becomes defective, it must be the brand or its not a good quality, I need to buy a new one and solder it, is there any good brands out there or is it important?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not generally important. Just make sure it's an exact fit by specifications.

- Warren

the capacitor value is 2200uf 10v, can I use more than 10v and still produce the same results?

The rating on the cap must be greater than or equal to 10V. The larger the better (greater margin). However, as the voltage rating increases the physical size will also increase.

Also, make certain you choose the same type of capacitor. Based on the value I can pretty much tell you you are dealing with an electrolytic capacitor. When replacing electrolytics you must observe the proper polarity.

If you have a switching power supply then the electrolytic must be rated for this application. You might try Digikey, I recall they have a fair selection of this class of electrolytic .

If the power supply is just rectified AC stepdown transformer you can normally use just about any electrolytic that matches the voltage and capacitance.

NoTime said:
If you have a switching power supply then the electrolytic must be rated for this application.

yes this is a swithing power supply for my pc, this means I can use a higher rated voltage for my capacitor? like >=10v but same rate of "uf", would this produce the same output voltage?

yes. higher rated voltage is better but you pay more $$ and size is bigger. so if the voltage is only 5v, anything like 10v/16v rating works. why pay and use 100v or 1000v size capacitor?

some capacitor features may be important if you are dealing with rf but for most usage it is not a problem

The voltage rating is the largest voltage the capacitor can tolerate without being damaged. Obviously, higher is better, so you can replace the cap with a new one of equal or greater voltage capability.

- Warren

chrisalviola said:
yes this is a swithing power supply for my pc, this means I can use a higher rated voltage for my capacitor? like >=10v but same rate of "uf", would this produce the same output voltage?

If it is on the output of a switching power supply, then the ESR rating for the cap (equivalent series resistance) can be an issue. The higher the ESR, the higher the ripple voltage at the power supply output, which can cause issues in the circuit being powered. Also, the value of the ESR affects the stability margin of the switching power supply. You need to read the specifications/datasheet for the capacitor that you are replacing, and match the ESR the best that you can. In general, a lower ESR is better.

Sometimes just putting a 10V rated cap on a 7V line isn't enough. This is something I deal with at work. You might want to look into capacitor deratings as well.

1. What are the top-rated capacitor brands in the market?

Some of the top-rated capacitor brands in the market include Panasonic, Vishay, KEMET, and Nichicon.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a capacitor brand?

When selecting a capacitor brand, it is important to consider factors such as capacitance value, voltage rating, tolerance, and reliability. It is also recommended to choose a brand that has a good reputation in the industry.

3. Are there any budget-friendly capacitor brands that still offer high quality?

Yes, there are several budget-friendly capacitor brands that offer high-quality products. Some examples include EPCOS, Rubycon, and Nippon Chemi-Con.

4. Can I mix and match different capacitor brands in my circuit?

In general, it is not recommended to mix and match different capacitor brands in a circuit. This is because each brand may have slight variations in their specifications and could cause compatibility issues. It is best to use capacitors from the same brand for optimal performance.

5. What are some warning signs that a capacitor brand may be of poor quality?

Signs of a poor-quality capacitor brand include frequent failures, inconsistent performance, and high levels of leakage current. It is important to thoroughly research and choose a reputable brand to avoid these issues.