Displacement of Underdamped Oscillation: Maximum and Minimum Occurrence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the local maximum or minimum for the displacement of an underdamped oscillation. It is shown that this point does not occur halfway between the times at which the mass passes its equilibrium point. The equations involved in solving this problem are x = e^{-\frac{ct}{2m}}(A cos(wt) + B sin(wt)), x = K e^{-\frac{ct}{2m}} sin(wt + P), T = \frac{2\pi}{w}, and w = \frac{\sqrt{4mk - c^2}}{2m}, with the additional condition that 4mk > c^2. The solution involves finding when sin(w
end3r7

Homework Statement

Show that the local maximum or minimum for the displacement of an underdamped oscillation does not occur halfway between the times at which the mass passes its equilibrium point.

Homework Equations

[tex]x = e^{-\frac{ct}{2m}}(A cos(wt) + B sin(wt))[/tex]
[tex]x = K e^{-\frac{ct}{2m}} sin(wt + P)[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{2\pi}{w}[/tex]

w = angular frequency = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{4mk - c^2}}{2m}[/tex]
Because the system is underdamped, 4mk > c^2

T = period

The Attempt at a Solution

I said [tex]sin(wt + P)[/tex] attains its maximum when [tex]wt + P = (4k + 1)\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] and min when [tex]wt + P = (2k + 1)\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
Likewise, it crosses the equilibrium when [tex]wt + P = k\pi[/tex].

Thus the period for a pass by equilibrium is simply [tex]\frac{pi}{w}[/tex]

So I did [tex]k\pi + \frac{\pi}{2w} = (2k + \frac{1}{w})\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
But this does cross a min if w = 1... where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also have a follow up question. Given a general equation, how do I estimate the parameters c, m, k

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm actually not even sure if I understand the question fully. If anyone could at least tell me whether I'm correctly interpreting the question...

What is underdamped oscillation?

Underdamped oscillation is a type of oscillatory motion where the system does not return to equilibrium after being disturbed. Instead, it oscillates back and forth with decreasing amplitude until it eventually comes to rest at the equilibrium point.

What are the characteristics of underdamped oscillation?

The main characteristics of underdamped oscillation are that the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time, the oscillations occur at a constant frequency, and the system does not return to equilibrium after being disturbed.

How is underdamped oscillation different from overdamped and critically damped oscillation?

Overdamped oscillation occurs when the system takes a long time to return to equilibrium, while critically damped oscillation occurs when the system returns to equilibrium in the shortest possible time without oscillating. Underdamped oscillation is different from both because it takes a moderate amount of time to return to equilibrium and continues to oscillate at a constant frequency.

What factors affect underdamped oscillation?

The factors that affect underdamped oscillation include the mass of the system, the spring constant, and the damping coefficient. The mass and spring constant determine the frequency of the oscillations, while the damping coefficient affects the rate at which the amplitude decreases.

What are some real-world applications of underdamped oscillation?

Underdamped oscillation can be seen in many real-world applications, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the oscillations of a car's suspension system. It is also used in seismology to study the motion of earthquakes and in electrical circuits to study the behavior of capacitors and inductors.