Comparing Remote Heat Exchangers for Cooling Circuit

• Thread starter mickdangerous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiator
In summary, the conversation discussed the comparison of two remote heat exchangers and the issue of different volumetric flow rates in the cooling circuit. The solution offered was to use the heat transfer coefficient from factory testing to compute the LMTD for the specific cooling circuit.
mickdangerous
I need to compare two remote heat exchangers (HE) of the cross-flow finned tube air & glykol 37%. The HE vendors provided me with basic stat sheets from factory testing. My issue is that the volumetric flow rates for the factory testing are different from the cooling circuit I have to place the HE in. Is there a practical way for me to determine the performance of these HEs in my cooling circuit? This is a two circuit HE, but my concern is with the high temperature circuit.

Cooling circuit parameters known
temp in
temp out
flow rate
medium
heat to be dissipated
ambient temp = 122F

Heat exchanger parameters known from factory testing
temp in (both sides)
temp out (both sides)
air flow
face velocity
heat exchanged
flow rate
ambient temp = 122F

thank you for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the equation for heat transferred is
Q=U\times Ar\times LMTD

Get the heat transfer coefficient U from the factory test. Then apply it to your conditions. You must be able to compute the LMTD independently.

1. What is a remote heat exchanger and how does it work?

A remote heat exchanger is a device used to transfer heat from one fluid to another without direct contact between the two fluids. It typically consists of two separate flow channels, one for the hot fluid and one for the cold fluid, with a barrier in between to prevent mixing. The heat exchange occurs through the barrier, allowing the hot fluid to transfer its heat to the cold fluid without them coming into contact.

2. What are the benefits of using a remote heat exchanger for cooling circuits?

There are several benefits to using a remote heat exchanger for cooling circuits. One of the main advantages is that it allows for more efficient heat transfer without the risk of contamination or corrosion between the two fluids. Additionally, a remote heat exchanger can be placed in a more convenient location for maintenance and repairs, as it does not need to be directly connected to the cooling circuit.

3. How do you determine which type of remote heat exchanger is best for a specific cooling circuit?

The type of remote heat exchanger best suited for a cooling circuit depends on several factors, such as the type of fluids being used, flow rates, and desired heat transfer efficiency. It is important to consider these factors and consult with a heat exchanger expert to determine the most suitable type for your specific cooling circuit.

4. Are there any common challenges or issues when comparing remote heat exchangers for cooling circuits?

One common challenge when comparing remote heat exchangers for cooling circuits is the lack of standardization in the industry. This can make it difficult to compare different models and determine which one is the most efficient or cost-effective. Additionally, the specific needs and requirements of each cooling circuit may vary, making it challenging to find a one-size-fits-all solution.

5. How can remote heat exchangers be optimized for maximum cooling efficiency?

There are several ways to optimize remote heat exchangers for maximum cooling efficiency. One method is to ensure proper sizing and design for the specific cooling circuit and fluid flow rates. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help improve heat transfer efficiency. Additionally, using advanced materials and technologies, such as enhanced surface designs and coatings, can also improve cooling efficiency.