Monochromatic Light Through Two Microscope Slides

In summary, the equation disagrees with the case d=0 at the edge of the slides, where we can say n=0 for the dark fringe that appears there.
MightyMan11

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of wavelength 500nm shines on a pair of identical glass microscope slides that form a very narrow wedge, as shown in the diagram. The top surface of the upper slide and the bottom surface of the lower slide have special coatings on them so that they do not reflect light. The inner surfaces are reflective. The indices of refraction of air and glass are 1.00 and 1.50 respectively. Looking down on the slide from above, you see the fringe pattern shown.
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1517/picture2dt0.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda_{D}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2nd}{m-0.5}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the "P" points to the 4th dark fringe,
m=4
[tex]\lambda_{D}[/tex]=500nm
n=1 (as the light is traveling the distance "d" in air)
d=?

Isolating for d and solving,
My answer is 875nm.
However, the correct answer is 750nm.
If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation disagrees with the case d=0 at the edge of the slides, where we can say n=0 for the dark fringe that appears there.

How would you modify your equation in order to explain the dark fringe at the left edge?

i see.
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2nd}{m}[/tex]
if m=0, then d would equal zero

also, setting P as the 3rd dark fringe, you would get the answer 750nm.

however, the equation i stated above happens to be the same equation on my formula sheet as for constructive interference (whereas the dark fringes are obviously destructive).

im assuming for the first dark fringe there is no path length difference, but why does it produce a dark fringe and not a bright spot as my formula predicts?

thank you

MightyMan11 said:
im assuming for the first dark fringe there is no path length difference, but why does it produce a dark fringe and not a bright spot as my formula predicts?

There is a 180° phase shift for one of the two reflections. This has the same effect as changing the path length difference by ½λ.
http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/physics/light/node10.html

1. What is monochromatic light?

Monochromatic light is light that consists of a single wavelength or color. This means that all the photons in the light have the same frequency and energy.

2. How is monochromatic light created?

Monochromatic light can be created by passing white light through a narrow slit or filter that only allows one specific wavelength to pass through. It can also be created by using lasers, which emit light of a specific wavelength.

3. What is the purpose of using two microscope slides in this experiment?

The two microscope slides are used to create a thin film of the sample material. This allows the monochromatic light to pass through the sample and create interference patterns, which can provide information about the sample's properties.

4. How does monochromatic light through two microscope slides help with scientific research?

Monochromatic light through two microscope slides is a common technique used in microscopy and spectroscopy. It allows scientists to study the properties of materials at a microscopic level, such as their refractive index, thickness, and composition.

5. What are some real-world applications of monochromatic light through two microscope slides?

This technique is used in various fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and materials science. It can be used to analyze the structure and composition of biological samples, study the properties of crystals and polymers, and even identify unknown substances in forensic investigations.