Maximizing a Continuous Function on A: Analysis Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a continuous function g: from the interval [0,1) to R that does not attain a maximum value. The suggested functions are g(x)=x and g(x)=e^x, and the task is to prove that they do not attain a maximum value using the IVT.
Janez25

Homework Statement

Let A= [0,1). Find a continuous function g: from A to R that does not attain a maximum value.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that g(x)=x or g(x)=e^x represent such a function, but I do not know how to use the IVT to prove that either of them work. Please help! I need as much information as possible without completely giving away the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Janez25! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Janez25 said:
… I believe that g(x)=x or g(x)=e^x represent such a function, but I do not know how to use the IVT to prove that either of them work.

Yes, either will do :smile:

now, what property (of either) means that the maximum is never reached?

(i don't think you need the IVT for this)

I am not sure what property I should use. I also am not sure how to show that either function does not attain a maximum value on the interval [0,1) formally.

Janez25 said:
I am not sure what property I should use. I also am not sure how to show that either function does not attain a maximum value on the interval [0,1) formally.

Hint: asssume it does attain its maximum, or any local maximum, at x = a in [0,1) …

is that possible for x or for ex?

what property would f(x) have if that isn't possible?

Thanks for your help!

1. What is analysis homework help?

Analysis homework help is a service that provides assistance with assignments related to data analysis, statistical analysis, and other forms of analysis in various fields such as science, economics, and business.

2. Who can benefit from analysis homework help?

Students at all levels, from high school to graduate school, can benefit from analysis homework help. Professionals who need help with data analysis for their work can also benefit from this service.

3. How does analysis homework help work?

Analysis homework help services usually involve connecting students with experienced tutors or experts in the field of analysis. They may offer one-on-one tutoring sessions, online resources, or personalized help with specific assignments.

4. What topics are covered in analysis homework help?

The topics covered in analysis homework help vary depending on the specific needs of the student. However, some common topics include statistical analysis, data interpretation, hypothesis testing, and research methods.

5. Is analysis homework help considered cheating?

No, analysis homework help is not considered cheating as long as the assistance provided is used for learning purposes and not for submitting someone else's work as your own. It is always important to properly cite any sources used for analysis homework help.