Looking for Powder XRD Purchase - University Research

In summary, the conversation is about purchasing a powder XRD for a university. The speaker is seeking recommendations for the best firm and accessories, and mentions Panalytical as a possible option for nanomaterials size measurements. They also mention that the XRD will be used for analyzing various materials such as new synthesized ceramic and metallic powders, nano powders, and bulk metals. The speaker receives a recommendation to seek professional help from XRD experts and to consider location and supplier services when making a decision.
Rasputin
Hi everybody,
we are looking for powder XRD purchase to our University. Is anyone tell me what firm is better, what kind of accessories to purchase? I heard that Panalytical made some device for nanomaterials size measurements. Anybody knows how does it works and is this good?
Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might get better help if you provide additional information, such as your location, budget, anticipated application/materials.

From my Prof., I understood that there is no questions about the budget.
Required analysis for new synthesized ceramic and metallic powders, nano powders, some metallic and polimeric surfaces, bulk metals (I'm talking about new phases formation in cast metals such as Al alloys).

If your university is in the US, I would recommend you get professional help from XRD experts, such as this group: http://www.xrd.us/services/consulting.htm

If not, you should have the primary operator make a decision based on needs and prior experience. A lot depends on your location and which suppliers operate there and provide installation/repair/maintenance/training services.

1. What is the average cost of a powder XRD purchase for university research?

The average cost of a powder XRD machine for university research can vary greatly depending on the brand, model, and features. However, a basic powder XRD machine can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000, while more advanced models can cost upwards of $100,000.

2. What are the key features to consider when purchasing a powder XRD machine for university research?

Some key features to consider when purchasing a powder XRD machine for university research include the type of X-ray source (copper or cobalt), the range of scanning angles, the resolution, the sensitivity, and the software capabilities.

3. Are there any specific brands or models of powder XRD machines that are recommended for university research?

There are many reputable brands and models of powder XRD machines that are suitable for university research, such as Bruker, Rigaku, and PANalytical. It is important to do thorough research and consult with experts in the field to determine the best fit for your specific research needs.

4. Can a powder XRD machine be used for other types of research besides material analysis?

Yes, a powder XRD machine can also be used for chemical analysis, pharmaceutical analysis, and geological analysis, among others. However, it is important to make sure that the machine has the necessary features and capabilities for the specific type of research being conducted.

5. Are there any additional costs associated with owning a powder XRD machine for university research?

In addition to the initial purchase cost, there may be additional costs for installation, training, maintenance, and repairs. It is important to factor in these costs when budgeting for a powder XRD machine purchase.