Problem on Energy Transfer

In summary: Use p.e. to find the potential energy. Use m.p. to find the velocity. Find the energy after the collision.
taichi2910
1. A Body Aof 5kg is attached to the end of a light supension cord 2m long and is free to swing in a cirular path in a vertical plane . the body A is drawn aside and the suspension cord is held taut at an angle of 30 below the horizontal .

a. determine the linear velocity of the weight when passing through the bottom position

b. at the instant of reaching the bottom position, body A collides with body B of mass 10kg moving horizontally with a velocity of 2m/s in the same vertical plane as, but in the opposite sense to Body A.

if after impact on body A rebounds to height of 0.3m above it bottom postion determine the velocity of B immediately after impact.

c. calcualte the loss of energy at impact

I must confess i have got no clue on how to tackle the problem, and as such i don't know where to start on, so please i would really appreciate any help and explanation offered to me .

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Determine the height of the body from the bottom position.
2) Calculate the potential energy at that position.
3) Apply the conservation of energy to find the velocity at the bottom position.
4) For part b, apply the conservation of momentum.

rl.bhat said:
1) Determine the height of the body from the bottom position.
2) Calculate the potential energy at that position.
3) Apply the conservation of energy to find the velocity at the bottom position.
4) For part b, apply the conservation of momentum.

thank you for you respond, but please rl.bhat can you tell wat to used to tackle the explanation, am absolutely clueless.

Length of the string is given. Angle below the horizontal is given. Draw the figure. Using trig. find the height of the body from the bottom position.

1. What is energy transfer?

Energy transfer refers to the movement of energy from one object or system to another. It can occur in various forms, including heat, electricity, and mechanical energy.

2. What are the different types of energy transfer?

The main types of energy transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction involves the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection involves the transfer of heat through fluids (such as air or water), and radiation involves the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How is energy transfer related to energy conservation?

Energy transfer is an important concept in energy conservation, as it helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems. By understanding energy transfer, we can find ways to conserve energy and use it more efficiently.

4. What factors affect energy transfer?

The factors that affect energy transfer include the temperature difference between two objects, the medium through which the energy is transferred, and the surface area and distance between the objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of energy transfer?

Energy transfer has various real-world applications, such as in cooking, heating and cooling systems, power plants, and transportation. It is also a key concept in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines.