An ice cube floating in water, what is the volume of the part under water?

In summary, the ice cube's buoyant force decreases as the cube's volume decreases, so the part of the ice cube that is under water has less of an effect on the ice cube's buoyant force.
exutable
The Problem

Hi, I just got this question in a physics class that I am taking, I have been looking at it for about 30 minutes and can't seem to crack it, probably doesn't help that I'm learning it in another language but anyways. A Ice cube of temperature 0 degress Celsius is floating on water. The ice cube's volume is 7.5 cm^3

Find the buoyancy of the ice cube. Density of ice at 0 degrees is 9.17 g/cm^3

Calculate the volume of the part of the ice cube that is under water.
Relevant Equations
Obviously I used the buoyancy formula to find the buoyancy of the ice cube, F = density x volume x gravity which I got to equal 73.65 Newtons

And then I would assume that I have to use V of the object = Force of buoyancy / density of water * gravity
Attempt
Using the second formula that I mentioned, I plug in the numbers and get the same volume that I was given, the volume of the ice cube. Which unfortunately actually makes sense because I am using the full force of buoyancy, and the density of water, and gravity. Nothing in there is specific to the part of the ice cube that is under water. With the given information i don't see how it is possible to actually calculate the amount of the ice cube that is under water.

Any help is appreciated,

Dane

Physics news on Phys.org
What is mass of the ice?

Note that ice density is not 9.17 g/mL, more like 0.917 g/mL.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Dane! Welcome to PF! :smile:
exutable said:
Density of ice at 0 degrees is 9.17 g/cm^3

erm … noooo :redface:
Obviously I used the buoyancy formula to find the buoyancy of the ice cube, F = density x volume x gravity which I got to equal 73.65 Newtons

And then I would assume that I have to use V of the object = Force of buoyancy / density of water * gravity

Look up your notes on buoyant force again …

The difference of the densities is what matters

(and V is the volume of water displaced, not the volume of the ice)

Sorry if the density is wrong but that is what the problem said...

Are you saying that my buoyant force is wrong or that I should look up the buoyant notes again because the answer lies in there?

Sorry there is no mass given.

tiny-tim said:
(and V is the volume of water displaced, not the volume of the ice)
That's a key point. In the buoyancy formula [itex]F=\rho g V[/itex] you shouldn't use the volume of the whole ice cube.

exutable said:
Sorry there is no mass given.

You are given volume and density though...

Aha,

So with the amount of water that is displaced that should give me an idea of the volume of the ice cube that is "displacing", meaning the part that is under water. I just don't have the amount of water that is being displaced though?

So I can't even calculate buoyancy though because I don't have the volume of the part under water?and wow I can't believe I didn't see that, derrrr... m = d*v, my bad

Now that you know the mass volume under water should be obvious - buoyancy makes the ice float, doesn't it?

Hi exutable! :smile:
exutable said:
So I can't even calculate buoyancy though because I don't have the volume of the part under water?

So … standard procedure … give it a name!

Call the volume under water V, write out the equations, and solve for V. :smile:

What causes an ice cube to float in water?

An ice cube floats in water because it has a lower density than water. This is due to the unique structure of ice molecules, which are less tightly packed compared to water molecules.

What is the volume of an ice cube under water?

The volume of an ice cube under water is equal to the volume of water displaced by the submerged part of the ice cube. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

Does the volume of an ice cube change when it is submerged in water?

No, the volume of an ice cube does not change when it is submerged in water. It remains the same as when it is in its solid state.

Why does an ice cube not sink in water?

An ice cube does not sink in water because it is less dense than water. This means that the weight of the water it displaces is greater than its own weight, causing it to float.

Can the volume of an ice cube be calculated using its submerged volume?

Yes, the volume of an ice cube can be calculated using its submerged volume. Since the volume of water displaced by the submerged part of the ice cube is equal to the volume of the ice cube, the submerged volume can be used to determine the overall volume of the ice cube.