Spatial linewidth and density matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of spatial linewidth in a two-level system. It is mentioned that the density matrix for the upper state, \rho_{ee}, can be a function of a parameter G that is potentially space-dependent. The speaker also mentions that the linewidth of the emitted light is related to the lifetime of the excited state and depends on the coupling between the excited and ground states in the Hamiltonian.
KFC
Hi there,
I am thinking an interesting problem of spatial linewidth of two-level system. Suppose in some way I find out an element of the desinty matrix for the upper state of two-level system, [tex]\rho_{ee}[/tex] and it turns out that [tex]\rho_{ee}[/tex] is a function of a parameter G, which could be space dependent, i.e.

[tex]\rho_{ee} = \rho_{ee}(G(x))[/tex]

as we know, [tex]\rho_{ee}[/tex] tells the inversed population of the system, when the atoms jump back to ground state from excited state, one line will be observed. Now, suppose I choose G(x) to be a specific function, e.g. Gaussian, such that [tex]\rho_{ee}(G(x))[/tex] turns out to be somewhat localized around x=0, so what can I tell about the linewidth of the emitted light?

Physics news on Phys.org
The line width is related to the lifetime of the excited state, hence will depend on the details of the coupling between the excited and the ground state in the Hamiltonian. Simply knowing about the excited state is completely insufficient.

What is spatial linewidth?

Spatial linewidth refers to the width of the spectral lines in a sample, which can be measured using spectroscopic techniques. It is a measure of the energy distribution within the sample and can provide information about the sample's physical properties.

How is spatial linewidth related to the density matrix?

The density matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the quantum state of a system. It contains information about the energy states of the system, including the spatial linewidth. The spatial linewidth is directly related to the diagonal elements of the density matrix, which represent the energy distribution in the sample.

Why is spatial linewidth important in spectroscopy?

Spatial linewidth is an important parameter in spectroscopy because it can provide insight into the physical properties of a sample. It can also be used to identify different types of materials and their structural characteristics.

How does the spatial linewidth affect the resolution of a spectroscopic measurement?

The spatial linewidth directly affects the resolution of a spectroscopic measurement. A smaller spatial linewidth leads to a sharper spectral line, resulting in higher resolution and more accurate measurements. Conversely, a larger spatial linewidth can result in broader spectral lines and lower resolution.

Can the spatial linewidth be controlled or manipulated in experiments?

Yes, the spatial linewidth can be controlled and manipulated in experiments. Techniques such as laser cooling and optical pumping can be used to reduce the spatial linewidth and improve the resolution of spectroscopic measurements. Additionally, changing the temperature or pressure of the sample can also affect the spatial linewidth.