How can fittings withstand the pressure in a water cutter?

In summary: These go up to 150,000 psi:http://www.autoclave.com/products/fittings_and_tubing/high/high.htmlCSAs stewart mentions, there are companies that make very high pressure fittings. I can think of 5 different companies that make tubing and fittings that can withstand that pressure. I suspect there are quite a few more. As far as I know, the fittings/pipes are relatively thick to minimize stress at high pressure. The nozzles have inserts made of sapphire or diamond or perhaps boron-nitride. The pressure gradient (drop) through the nozzle fitting is substantial - HP to essentially ambient.
TSN79
I've seen some different types of water jet cutters and they are indeed cool :)
I read that these operate in areas around 5 000 bars (~70 000 psi) which is so much I can't even grasp it! But what I wonder is what kind of piping and fittings could even withstand this?? A regular house has water pressure around 5 bars, and leaks appear all the time for a variety of reasons. Is it simply that these cutters are made of fittings and pipes that are the most super duper hardcore of all?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know nothing about these things, but one thing that comes to mind is the possibility of total pressure vs. static pressure. Chances are, the really really high pressure stated is a total pressure, so to speak. It is the pressure the jet will exert on a solid, after it has been slowed. So, while the total pressure may be really high inside the cutter, the static pressure is probably quite low.

Even though the pressures are very high, the flows are very low. The pumps are reciprocating type and the low flow allows the use of very small components and thus can be made as thick as required. You are not going to find your run-of-the-mill hydraulic fittings on the business end of a waterjet or abrasive waterjet. The tool itself is usually ruby, diamond, garnet or some other very hard stone. The mixing tubes are usually the weak link in the chain.

TSN79 said:
I've seen some different types of water jet cutters and they are indeed cool :)
I read that these operate in areas around 5 000 bars (~70 000 psi) which is so much I can't even grasp it! But what I wonder is what kind of piping and fittings could even withstand this?? A regular house has water pressure around 5 bars, and leaks appear all the time for a variety of reasons. Is it simply that these cutters are made of fittings and pipes that are the most super duper hardcore of all?

Fittings can be made for really high pressures, just depends on their design. Autoclave is who we use for all of our high pressure applications.

These go up to 150,000 psi:

http://www.autoclave.com/products/fittings_and_tubing/high/high.html

CS

As stewart mentions, there are companies that make very high pressure fittings. I can think of 5 different companies that make tubing and fittings that can withstand that pressure. I suspect there are quite a few more.

As far as I know, the fittings/pipes are relatively thick to minimize stress at high pressure. The nozzles have inserts made of sapphire or diamond or perhaps boron-nitride. The pressure gradient (drop) through the nozzle fitting is substantial - HP to essentially ambient.

Pressure (mechanical energy) is converted to high kinetic energy of the fluid jet.

1. How do fittings withstand the pressure in a water cutter?

Fittings used in water cutters are specifically designed to withstand high pressure. They are made from durable materials such as stainless steel, brass, or aluminum and are engineered to have a high strength-to-weight ratio. Additionally, they undergo rigorous testing to ensure they can withstand the pressure exerted by the water cutter.

2. What is the maximum pressure that fittings can withstand in a water cutter?

The maximum pressure that fittings can withstand in a water cutter varies depending on the type and size of fitting, as well as the manufacturer. Generally, fittings can withstand pressures ranging from 10,000 to 60,000 pounds per square inch (psi). It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications to determine the maximum pressure for a specific fitting.

3. Can fittings fail under high pressure in a water cutter?

While fittings are designed to withstand high pressure, they can potentially fail under extreme conditions. This could be due to defects in the manufacturing process, improper installation, or exceeding the maximum pressure rating. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent fittings from failing under high pressure.

4. How can I ensure that fittings are able to withstand the pressure in a water cutter?

To ensure that fittings can withstand the pressure in a water cutter, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installation and usage. This includes using the correct size and type of fitting for the specific water cutter and regularly inspecting fittings for any signs of wear or damage. It is also important to not exceed the maximum pressure rating for the fittings.

5. Are there any alternative materials for fittings that can withstand high pressure in a water cutter?

While stainless steel, brass, and aluminum are commonly used materials for fittings in water cutters, there are also alternative materials available. These include materials such as carbon steel, titanium, and PVC. It is important to consult with the manufacturer to determine the best material for fittings based on the specific application and pressure requirements.